Railroad Forums 

• Moderator policies

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#123141  by ryanov

arrow wrote:I'm glad Bob posted this thread. Everytime we get to discussing something interesting it gets locked or deleted. Posts are always edited in many of the boards here and topic titles are almost ALWAYS changed.

It's really annoying that we can't discuss anything. None of the recently locked topics that Bob refers to were off topic or anything, so why was it done?
My only qualm is that I believe topics should have notation for why they are locked.

#123157  by Derek Bernier

efin98 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Correct. That is the policy for that forum. No problems there- the community on that forum developed those policies together and Mr. Norman enforces them. Did I miss something?

-otto-
It's hypocracy. Either it's allowed or it isn't.
Hmmmm...

I think you're right, Mr. Findlay.

That Amtrak board seems to have so much stuff dissaproved, so much killed on sight, so I'm always careful what I post there if I ever do.

#123248  by Otto Vondrak

I agree, moderators should leave an explanation why the thread was locked as the last post in a locked topic. It's a courtesy to the other members, and can help explain what actions took place that led to the locking.

It would also be nice if moderators left a little note behind when they edit. For instance, I do not allow entire articles to be copied and pasted into this site. When I find that, I will delete all but the first two paragraphs, and leave a note that I snipped the rest, and put a link to the article to people can read it at the source.

I do not leave notes when I edit topic thread titles.

That said, I want to say right now that I fully support the actions of Mr. Norman and his stewardship of the Amtrak forum. For the volume of traffic and the variety of heated topics discussed, I would say that our Amtrak forum is the most successful discussion on the Internet.

Welcome to the world of moderated discussion.

-otto-

#123253  by AmtrakFan

I support Mr. Norman 110% him and I have a good working relationships even with some of my odd ideas. Thanks Mr. Norman.

#123338  by Guest

Otto Vondrak wrote:If you have a legitimate problem with the way a moderator is interpreting RAILROAD.NET policies, please bring them up with that moderator first. If you feel he is unresponsive or you're not satisfied with his answer, then please tell us. We will try to help resolve the situation.
That's exactly what I did. Now the big question is: Is anything going to change, or is this discussion a complete waste of time?

#123340  by Robert Paniagua

I support Mr. Norman 110% him and I have a good working relationships even with some of my odd ideas. Thanks Mr. Norman.

Same here, I like the way he does things too. That's how I learned how to moderate stuff myself on my forums. I'hed a bit of abuse happen in some of my forums, but I take control of it when I see it.

#123341  by CNJ

Bob Scheurle wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:If you have a legitimate problem with the way a moderator is interpreting RAILROAD.NET policies, please bring them up with that moderator first. If you feel he is unresponsive or you're not satisfied with his answer, then please tell us. We will try to help resolve the situation.
That's exactly what I did. Now the big question is: Is anything going to change, or is this discussion a complete waste of time?
The site has already stated its position on this matter.

#123352  by Otto Vondrak

We do have our stated policies that we stand by... but we're not inflexible.

That said, perhaps it would help to post a "ten commandments" of moderating. We can include caveats about editing in general. That way, we're all on the same page.

-otto-

#123388  by John_Henry

I've been the victim of the edits in the NJT forum, and of the random locked threads. I've expressed my concerns to the moderator about having my posts edited without either notice or notation that the edited post no longer contains my words.

The moderator and I disagree on several points related to NJT Rail, and we disagree on how to moderate the forum.

However, the moderator has been receptive to comments and not at all billigerent or inappropriate, and I think that says a lot for him.

So my gripe is not that the moderator is bad, just that the rules needed clarification, as Otto has done. Now we all need to live by them.

All in all, I have seen a pretty mature set of responses that make me want to continue using this forum.

JH

#123395  by CNJ

I would also like to express my pleasure on the job the moderator of the NJT forum (Irish Chieftain) has done.

If anything at all can be said of about him, I will say that he is fair in his approach.

Keep up the good work!

#123422  by Guest

John_Henry wrote:However, the moderator has been receptive to comments and not at all billigerent or inappropriate, and I think that says a lot for him.
My experience is the opposite. The moderator of the NJT Rail forum was quite rude in a private message he sent to me.

#123444  by CNJ

Bob Scheurle wrote:
John_Henry wrote:However, the moderator has been receptive to comments and not at all billigerent or inappropriate, and I think that says a lot for him.
My experience is the opposite. The moderator of the NJT Rail forum was quite rude in a private message he sent to me.

Bob Scheurle in a response to a post of mine (dated 30 April 4:16 pm) from the NJT Forum:

"You're a perfect example of why railfans shouldn't do transportation planning!"

Mr. Scheurle, I will be blunt...you are the last individual who posts either here or other other transporation-related sites who should be complaining about anyone being rude.

Don't even go there.

In fact, lets have the site admin people take a look at how you conduct yourself:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13237

#123453  by Mark Schweber

Otto Vondrak wrote:We do have our stated policies that we stand by... but we're not inflexible.

That said, perhaps it would help to post a "ten commandments" of moderating. We can include caveats about editing in general. That way, we're all on the same page.

-otto-
Sounds like a great idea. I would suggest:

The moderator should put a notation when he edits a post

and

The moderator should give an explanation when he locks a thread

(both of which your yourself do) should be two of the "commandments"

#123520  by Guest

CNJ,

#1 - I'm not a moderator

#2 - Don't be so sensitive

#123540  by AmtrakFan

Robert Paniagua wrote:I support Mr. Norman 110% him and I have a good working relationships even with some of my odd ideas. Thanks Mr. Norman.

Same here, I like the way he does things too. That's how I learned how to moderate stuff myself on my forums. I'hed a bit of abuse happen in some of my forums, but I take control of it when I see it.
I have learned a lot of life lessons from him.