Low-Sulfur diesel

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

patsteven71

Low-Sulfur diesel

Post by patsteven71 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Now that low-sulfur diesel fuel is being produced for ON-ROAD vehicles such as trucks and transit buses, and is required to be in all U.S. gas stations by October 1, 2006, are any commuter railroads planning on using low-sulfur diesel? Low-sulfur diesel is not required to be used in locomotives, but I'm wondering if any commuter railroads will be making the switch?

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:34 pm

Most railroads do not use Diesel as in trucks but use Home heating oil and it still has Sulfur in it.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

octr202
Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Post by octr202 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:04 am

MBTA I believe converted to either low or ultra low sulfur diesel recently as part of an agrement over overall vehicle emissions.

They supposedly have been using ULSD in buses for a while too despite it not being required at the time.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010

BigRock

Re: Low-Sulfur diesel

Post by BigRock » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:36 am

Just to clarify, it is Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel that is the new standard. We already had Low Sulfur Diesel for years.

Return to “General Discussion - Passenger Rail”