Railroad Forums 

• Hyperloop and other vactrains

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1489189  by mtuandrew

ConstanceR46 wrote:Tesla cars have barrier lust already. This is not going to end well.
I also want to see the safety system - something tells me it isn’t triple-failsafe like most transit operations. (Operator + deadman + Automatic Stop)
 #1489668  by djlong

It's just that I see all kinds of "American't" when it comes to stuff like this.

Keeping this on Hyperloop - 'they' said it would never happen; that it was just a white paper. There'd never be a prototype or anythign close to it.

Well, now we have prototypes, including full-scale models. Bit by bit, piece by piece, it's happening. So far, nobody seems to have run into any showstoppers. That's not to say they *won't* - but let them keep trying until they do.

As far as the 'other' tunnel, in LA, yeah, I see endpoint congestion there until mroe details get worked out. It reminds me of the tunnel under the Elbe in Hamburg - where cars line up at elevators to descend into the tunnel, drive through, and drive onto another elevator at the other end. (Rather interesting tunnel to walk through).
 #1490617  by lpetrich

djlong wrote:It's just that I see all kinds of "American't" when it comes to stuff like this.

Keeping this on Hyperloop - 'they' said it would never happen; that it was just a white paper. There'd never be a prototype or anythign close to it.
Have Hyperloop proponents done anything close to a feasibility study? Any attempt to estimate construction costs? Operation costs? Safety and reliability? In my previous posts here, I have done some estimates of construction costs and I have brought up safety and reliability issues.

I've seen the argument from Elon Musk supposedly being a business genius, and the related argument that Tesla Motors and SpaceX have succeeded despite the numerous criticisms that they have received. But as Carl Sagan noted about laughing at new ideas, "they also laughed at Bozo the Clown". Also, philosopher Bertrand Russell once noted that "There are infinite possibilities of error, and more cranks take up fashionable untruths than unfashionable truths."
Well, now we have prototypes, including full-scale models. Bit by bit, piece by piece, it's happening. So far, nobody seems to have run into any showstoppers. That's not to say they *won't* - but let them keep trying until they do.
Many of the problems with the Hyperloop only appear when one goes to large scale.
As far as the 'other' tunnel, in LA, yeah, I see endpoint congestion there until mroe details get worked out. It reminds me of the tunnel under the Elbe in Hamburg - where cars line up at elevators to descend into the tunnel, drive through, and drive onto another elevator at the other end. (Rather interesting tunnel to walk through).
So its elevators lower cars from street level to tunnel level, and also raise cars from tunnel level to street level?
 #1494369  by djlong

lpetrich wrote:
djlong wrote:
So its elevators lower cars from street level to tunnel level, and also raise cars from tunnel level to street level?
Exactly.
 #1494404  by bostontrainguy

Just saw a new video about the tunnel on CNBC. It was an actual test drive. Your car needs to have horizontal wheels attached in order to ride in the tunnel. I thought the original plan had the cars riding on a sled, but they just drive through steered by these side wheels. They of course probably need to be electric because of this. The news person also mentioned that the ride was very rough and that the car jerked from side to side causing some real anxiety.
 #1494447  by lpetrich

How are the horizontal wheels handled? With a frame that is fit onto the car? I'm trying to think of the simplest way to implement it.