Railroad Forums 

• Dual gauge track in Columbus

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1409398  by Myrtone

Here is a photo of three-rail dual gauge track in Columbus. As one can see in the link, the gauges don't differ much. Did this track require special rail profiles on one side of each track? I know that three rail dual gauge heavy rail track does involve narrow footed rails when the two gauges differ by only slightly more than the rail width. Did this track shown in the photo mean a speed restriction (even away from points and crossings) that did not always apply to single gauge track?
 #1409547  by Arborwayfan

I found this online, interlaced rail in Amsterdam. I think it could be a picture of a similar situation.

Left to right on the amsterdam picture: right (starboard) rail for coming towards us, left (port) rail for going away from us, extra piece of steel to protect flangeway, big stretch of bricks, extra piece of steel to protect flangeway, left (port) rail for coming towards us, right (starboard) rail for going away from us.

http://citytransport.info/Digi/5977.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1409686  by John_Perkowski

What it looks like to me is double track urban rail. Remember, streetcar rail isn't always the same as mainline rail.

#1409748  by Myrtone

That picture shows two tracks crossing each other, each with only two rails. Dual gauge track must have at least three if the gauges differ by more than the width of the railhead.
 #1413190  by Alcochaser

Yep nothing dual gauge about that. Streetcar rail often was made with complete flange ways.

It sometimes got used on "steam roads" the DL&W used it at Utica NY for the street running.
 #1413648  by Myrtone

Ah yes, but it is clear from the photo that two of the rail-heads are close together, did they, in fact, share a common rail foot? Much dual gauge track elsewhere in the world involves gauges different by more than the width of the rail-head, so three-rail dual gauge track is possible with standard rails. This type of dual gauge track was important in some European cities, most notably Stuttgart, during a period of converting their networks to standard gauge. In this case, they were converting from gauges narrower than standard by more than the width of standard rails.
 #1413653  by talltim

From what I can see it looks like they used special sections of rail with two heads. I suppose if you require enough of it it get worth the extra cost of getting it rolled or cast
 #1413779  by mtuandrew

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramway_track" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - scroll down to the section on grooved rail. Girder rail (another name for it) was pretty common in the US for traction use, and I'm pretty certain that's what you see here. Not actually dual gauge.

EDIT: mea culpa! I didn't notice that this system did have broad gauge as well. Would love to see the track profile.
 #1417633  by Myrtone

talltim wrote:From what I can see it looks like they used special sections of rail with two heads. I suppose if you require enough of it it get worth the extra cost of getting it rolled or cast
But what if you only need dual gauge track during a changeover period? Wouldn't the need for this special type of rail during the changeover make regauging the network more complicated?
 #1460980  by Myrtone

Toronto uses a gauge wider than standard but by less than the width of the rail-head, which means that three-rail dual gauge track is not possible at all. Four-rail dual gauge requires extra clearance relative to the loading gauge, which might not be the case in Toronto. Apparently this, combined with the inter-connectivity of the Toronto network means that the main reason their gauge remains to this day is not the price tag of change gauge but the disruption during the conversion.

The St. Louis streetcar system had a similar gauge to Toronto and if it hadn't been abandoned, they would also have been unable to change gauge.

Could even converting existing Pennsylvania trolley gauge systems to standard still be more complicated than it's worth even though three-rail dual gauge track is possible?
 #1461523  by Allouette

Columbus was one of several cities with dual gauge track. In Columbus' case, it resulted from having to accommodate standard gauge interurbans along with Columbus' own 5' 2.5" gauge streetcars. Wheeling WVa also had dual gauge, but it was all streetcars, with some lines of each gauge. The rail was either rolled specially for the dual rail side, or welded on site in the same manner that special work such as switches were built. If the rail base was less than 6" wide fasteners could have been placed between the rails. Several companies specialized in building special work parts - the Wharton business school was founded by the owner of one of them.