Railroad Forums 

• Trackside Restaurants (was:Restaurants by the tracks)

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#404900  by Noel Weaver

Seems to me that there was a topic on here about restaurants along the
tracks but I do not seem to find it right now so I will do it again.
Yesterday, Wednesday, May 30, 2007, I was led to a place that I did not
know about in Boca Raton, Florida. It is "Buckys" at the southeast corner
of Dixie Highway and Glades Road in Boca Raton. The Florida East Coast
goes right by this place as it and Dixie Highway pass by north and south.
It is about two miles south of the siding at Villa Rica.
The food is very good, a number of boothes are on the west wall which
faces Dixie Highway and the Florida East Coast. I had baby back ribs
which was a very good choice. Between 6:30 PM and 8:00 PM three trains
passed by, two north and one south and the southbound train had SD-70's
for power.
Good food and good train action.
Noel Weaver

#405117  by Rockingham Racer

Let me add two: Phil Scmidt's across from the Hammond-Whiting Amtrak station, and in Berea, OH, the name I don't remember. Chappaqua [NY] used to have a railroad-themed restaurant; not sure if it's still there.

#405480  by PRRGuy

It's Phil Smidt's, another prime railfan spot for me. If you get a seat near the bar you can railfan out the windows.

#410042  by charlie6017

MacGregor's on Coldwater Rd (NY Rte. 386) just west of Rochester NY. Good food--lots of beer and drink choices! It's located in a renovated NYC train station on the current CSX main. 50+ trains daily!

#421344  by Hawko

Tinucci's Restaurant & Deli which is either in Newport or Red Rock,MN is next to the BNSF & CP mains, south of the Twin Cities.
The Train Station Barbecue is located in the La Crosse, WI Amtrak Depot.
Last edited by Hawko on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #421702  by ringo

The Dalton Depot in Dalton Georgia, it sits next to the combined CSX and NS tracks. Many trains, with good food and suds, Ringo
 #421703  by ringo

The Dalton Depot in Dalton Georgia, it sits next to the combined CSX and NS tracks. Many trains, with good food and suds, Ringo

#459399  by Metalrailz

Sherbans Diner in South Plainfield, and across the street is KC'S Korner Bar and Grill.

#459628  by 3rdrail

When the PCC trolley's come back to the Mattapan-High Speed Line in Boston's Mattapan Square, you can pick up a few slices of pizza at Domino's, adjacent to the MBTA's Mattapan Terminal. This building was the Mattapan train station for the Old Colony and New Haven Railroads many years ago. It's right by the MBTA yard's west side, accross River St. at the trolley loop. It still looks amazingly similiar to it's original appearance if you ignore the restaurant facade and minor changes. Grab a slice, go out into the terminal with your camera, and shoot some PCC's !
For El nostalgia as well as great food and a terrific bar, head to Doyle's Cafe on Washington Street in Jamaica Plain. In El days, the cafe sat next to the El and "rumbled" every time that an Elevated car passed by mere feet away. The "rumbling" got to be a part of the place, so much so that after the El was torn down, the owners considered running the sound on a taped loop every ten minutes or so ! They have one of the El's previously adjacent signals on display inside.

#466491  by CSX Conductor

I saw a chinese restaraunt in Marietta / Smyrna,Ga. which was trackside and at an old depot, with old rail cars as a part of the restaraunt. I forget the name of it, sorry.

Don't forget The Steaming Tender on the Boston Line in Palmer,Ma.

#469192  by BERK44

Ash Creek Saloon in Norwalk Connecticut . Great BBQ. Next to the Danbury Line at the Rt 1 (Cross st) crossing.

#491724  by lakeshoredave

Wanakah Grille on Pleasant Avenue in Hamburg, NY is a good spot. Its located next to CSX and NS on their Buffalo to Cleveland routes....the mashed potatoes are really good there, and you've got a good view of the tracks.

#514214  by RichM

Claiborne's in the old depot at Fredericksburg, Virginia... excellent food, excellent decor... only problem is you're about six feet below rail height now.

But tons of CSX, VRE and Amtrak.
Last edited by RichM on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

#514251  by pennsy

Hi All,

Normal situation. Good restaurants congregate by RR stations. Usually for survival. If the station closed, so would they. And the food is always good, or they won't be there very long. Lately, I have noticed something else as well, they are not very cheap.