Railroad Forums 

• Pennsylvania Street Running?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1082843  by Vakharn

For some reason I was under the impression that there is still street running in Philadelphia. I've been doing some googling though and was unable to find any references to it. Am I mistaken? If so, where else in Pennsylvania can street running be seen these days? Wikipedia mentions a few places but I figured the likelihood of that being accurate and up to date is slim.
 #1083126  by trackwelder

a short stretch at the very bottom of delmor ave. in morrisville. i dunno how often or when the tyburn railroad runs along that stretch.
 #1083301  by pumpers

In Philadelphia there are a few customers still on the Columbus Blvd line in South Philadelphia. Some discussion of it here but not many pics with trains.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 30&t=53291. Somewhere on the web I have seen recent pictures (past month or two?) I think but can't remember where. It mostly runs in the central median, so you might not call it street running... But pretty close.
 #1083570  by trackwelder

there's somethin' ya don't see every day
 #1085270  by nickrapak

The Juniata Valley Railroad has 2 sections of street running in Lewistown; along most of Water Street, and for a small segment of Chestnut Street.

They also run across one of the few grade crossings along a 4-lane limited-access highway, crossing US 322 right outside of town.
 #1089018  by bwparker1

nickrapak wrote:The Juniata Valley Railroad has 2 sections of street running in Lewistown; along most of Water Street, and for a small segment of Chestnut Street.

They also run across one of the few grade crossings along a 4-lane limited-access highway, crossing US 322 right outside of town.
By chance, would you know of other such active crossings of a 4 lane highway? And, are they still actually running east beyond 322 at this point? When I lived in State College, PA from 2003-2008, I don't think the JVRR was going east to serve the Krentzman Scrap Yard, which I believe is/was the only customer on that branch.

BWP
 #1089144  by nickrapak

bwparker1 wrote:
nickrapak wrote:The Juniata Valley Railroad has 2 sections of street running in Lewistown; along most of Water Street, and for a small segment of Chestnut Street.

By chance, would you know of other such active crossings of a 4 lane highway? And, are they still actually running east beyond 322 at this point? When I lived in State College, PA from 2003-2008, I don't think the JVRR was going east to serve the Krentzman Scrap Yard, which I believe is/was the only customer on that branch.

BWP
1. No I don't, and it very well might be the only such crossing in the country.

2. Although I've never seen a train go across, the tracks are clear of growth, and I found this video on YouTube from 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56Q2Qg984s It's probably a run on need train, but with rising scrap prices, I can see this line being used more often than before. AFAIK, Krentzman is still the only customer on that branch.
 #1089152  by Schuylkill Valley

Colebrookdale ( Boyertown Line) crosses Route 100 in Pottstown and that's a four lane Highway and when it was in operation the King of Prussia Ind. track crossed Route 202. On the Blue Mountain and Reading Ex. PRR the Glen Garry Brick spur crosses Route 61. The Ind. track for Car Tech in Reading crosses Route 61 too.

Len.
 #1090356  by JimBoylan

Bleigh St. between Tacony State Rd. and Milnor St., and Milnor St. between Bleigh St. and Cottman Ave., a ConRail branch off Amtrak's NorhEast Corridor that serves Northern Metals Piers and a scrap yard, but not very often. Bleigh St. goes under the I-95 Delaware Expwy.
 #1090710  by gp80mac

nickrapak wrote: 1. No I don't, and it very well might be the only such crossing in the country.
The Middletown & Hummelstown also crosses US Rt. 322 south of Hummelstown. That road is also 4-lane, limited access in that spot. 55mph as well, I think.

Doesn't get used much, but it is only protected by a set of flashers with cantilevers.
 #1094125  by MariusP

NS in Reading south of the cut through downtown. Basically below Franklin Station is all at grade. Also, believe it or not the old Lehigh Viaduct in Philadelphia is actually at grade for a few blocks along its northern end where it passes through the heart of North Philly, and makes several street crossings. I think it used to be something like four tracks in that area, but is now just one. Not sure how often trains run on it now, but I've seen both CSX and NS locomotives on sidings that branch off from the line at the port and industrial zone along the river. Along parts of that line are some of the bleakest environments you'll ever encounter in North America.
 #1099351  by GP30 5513

Video taken (not by me) of the North Shore RR street running in Lewistown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA6-JVr_ ... Q5pLcnCOKQ

And NSHR crossing Route 322. I'm not surprised at the amount of motorists running the red signals. I wouldn't suggest gates at this crossing either, as NSHR and/or PennDOT would go bankrupt replacing broken gates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56Q2Qg9 ... el&list=UL