Railroad Forums 

• 614 to Port Jervis again?

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#1045327  by northjerseybuff

I saw on another message board where NYS and NJT were in negotiations with Mr. Rowland to possibly(issues still remain) run the 614 to Port Jervis again. Would be amazing if it were to happen. I can post the message if anyone wants, but didn't know how it would work coming from another site
 #1045329  by DutchRailnut

C&O 614 is currently not up to date on boiler (flues) overhaul, I believe, and for it to be done would cost more than anyone would care to guess.
Add to that Airbrakes etc etc.
The locomotive is currently stuffed and mounted at GreenBrier.
 #1045332  by northjerseybuff

very true Dutch, I'm just reporting as to what the owner of the locomotive is saying. Here is the post

We have recently participated in discussions involving the tourism development folks from NY State, representatives of Port Jervis and NJTransit to discuss the possibilities of repeating the highly successful 1996-98 614 Hoboken-Pt.Jervis program.

One of the many issues that needs to be resolved before such a project can be launched is to be able to provide era appropriate coaches ( including some with open windows for the die hard foamers) that are mechanicly up to NJT standards, and to fund a robust marketing campaign to ensure good patronage.

I'd say there's a modest chance that this could happen but there are a good number of issues that will need to be addressed first.
 #1045334  by Steve F45

northjerseybuff wrote:very true Dutch, I'm just reporting as to what the owner of the locomotive is saying. Here is the post

We have recently participated in discussions involving the tourism development folks from NY State, representatives of Port Jervis and NJTransit to discuss the possibilities of repeating the highly successful 1996-98 614 Hoboken-Pt.Jervis program.

One of the many issues that needs to be resolved before such a project can be launched is to be able to provide era appropriate coaches ( including some with open windows for the die hard foamers) that are mechanicly up to NJT standards, and to fund a robust marketing campaign to ensure good patronage.

I'd say there's a modest chance that this could happen but there are a good number of issues that will need to be addressed first.
they'll get the patronage all right.....where there's steam, there is foam!
 #1045337  by DutchRailnut

Rumors are great, but there is a recesssion and even railfans are not willing to spend a lot of money.
Add to that that Ross Rowland and his C&O 614 and NJT parted ways in a kind of ugly way about finances.

NJT is probably well aware of saying: screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice ............................................
 #1045348  by northjerseybuff

Not sure if its a rumor if it comes from Mr. Rowland himself.....but you are correct there was some bad blood between NJT and Rowland. It was 15 years ago though. I say we need to see if this transpires. Fall trips anyone?
 #1045379  by O-6-O

765 is good on the NS I'm told, that might make way more sense.
 #1045440  by blockline4180

O-6-O wrote:765 is good on the NS I'm told, that might make way more sense.

Yes, the 765 was supposed to go to Hoboken for the Terminals 100th Anniversary in 2007, but since no celebration occurred the plans never transpired.
 #1045480  by roadster

When the boiler/flue issues are resolved. I think we might have a chance to consider something like a run. Untill that is done. Nothing.
 #1045490  by DutchRailnut

Again NJT when finaly releasing C&O 614 got shafted for thousands of dollars , do you and the Trainiacs realy believe that NJT forgets ??
no way, and Ros Rowland needs more geritol if he thinks NJT forgets.
 #1045499  by O-6-O

A friend of my runs on the NS and tells me the RR is planning to run the 765 on all it's major lines for the employee's and shippers. That doesn't make it Gospel but having the

Berk run on the old Erie seems like a natural. I'd love to see big steam on the line from PJ to Bing. That has long been a dream of mine.

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/765-norfol ... niversary/
 #1045578  by wurlitzer153

Ross Rowland has stated on several forums that, unless CSX drops their ban on steam, the 614 is unlikely to run anytime soon.

As for 765 this year, the announced schedule is that, at each terminal listed below, she'll run several short excursions over the weekend. 765 will cover the northern divisions and Sou 630 the south. As of this time, the terminals 765 will operate out of are: Bellevue, Toledo, Williamson (WV), Conway, Harrisburg, and St. Louis. Remember, these are for employees and their families, so they'll be short out'n'back trips and are not open to the public.

That said, I'd love to see her out here on the NKP east end, and then continuing down the Erie. Drop that 40MPH limit and lets race those Chessie van trains!
 #1045605  by workextra

I would love to see the 614 run again, But I highly doubt it will happen soon. Maybe some time in the future but not within the next few years.
I don't know where the 614 is in it's 1472 inspection and other FRA mandated steam inspections. For all I know it may need a full tare down and overhaul before Washington gives the it the high green.

I do certainly believe that the NKP 765 could be used on the old Erie or even D&LW lines.
Depending on what takes place with the NS. Providing they can move quickly and obtain a steam crew and the 765 NJT could negotiate a side track a fan trip between it's runs for the NS.

As I quote from above "they'll get the patronage all right.....where there's steam, there is foam!"
That's the truth!

On a side note:
DL may be more inclined to allow the NKP 765 to run the water gap trains for Steamtown one year, If so, Maybe a special can be arranged for a trip in conjunction with NJT , DL, and Steamtown to run a all steam powered train from Hoboken to Scranton and back. Possibly involving an over night in Scranton.