Railroad Forums 

• Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#978843  by TB Diamond

Can someone relate the current traffic level on the R&S in the greater Rochester area?

The train out of Brooks Avenue at one time passsed through the Caledonia area about mid-afternoon, but this dates to the fall of 2007.

Last fall when I was back east there was little traffic on the R&S as the way it was told to me the salt mine near Mt. Morris was closed.

Thank you for any and all information.
 #978850  by scottychaos

well, I dont have *specific* information..
but from what I have seen (and heard, train whistles at crossings in the distance) the R&S seems as busy as ever..
Brooks ave yard is always full of cars, (and locomotives for AMP in Dansville)..
every time I walk up to Genesee Junction yard to photograph the LAL I always hear R&S trains at the nearby grade crossings..

The new Salt Mine (open since about 1999) has never closed..its busy all the time,
every time I drive by its loaded with hopper cars, and R&S has had two locomotives stationed at the mine constantly since it has opened.

I saw two R&S trains at P&L junction on a Weeknight, about 8pm, about a month ago..
a lone locomotive came down from the north to switch the yard, and a loaded train with
5 locomotives was coming up from the south..

while I dont know any specific shedules of specific trains, R&S seems as busy, perhaps busier, than ever! :)
I dont think anything has changed recently..

Scot
 #978864  by Benjamin Maggi

While in Rochester I was rarely ever able to railfan the R&S because they seemed to always operate at night... at least out of Brooks Yard. Perhaps that is why it "appears" as though they are less busy. They are hiding the trains under the cover of darkness. Ninja trains.
 #978870  by Matt Langworthy

TB Diamond wrote:Can someone relate the current traffic level on the R&S in the greater Rochester area?

The train out of Brooks Avenue at one time passsed through the Caledonia area about mid-afternoon, but this dates to the fall of 2007.

Last fall when I was back east there was little traffic on the R&S as the way it was told to me the salt mine near Mt. Morris was closed.
As Scot said, the mine in Groveland is in full operation. Based on my observations, the R&S turn to the mine departs Brooks Avenue in the early afternoon on weekdays. The R&S also services customers on the former B&O/BR&P during daylight, as well. In fact, I recently caught them working in Leroy on a Saturday! http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab13 ... ct%202011/

The R&S still services Kodak Park and even took over the Kodak Park RR recently. They also interchange traffic with the LA&L roughly 3 days a week, acting as a bridge for NS to compete with CSX. Therefore, the R&S is quite busy.

The only wrinkle with R&S is the night interchange with NS and CSX. From what I've been told, the R&S run to CSX's Goodman Street yard departs Brook Ave early in the night. On occasion, it can be seen in late daylight on long summer days. On the other hand, the R&S turn to interchange with NS at Silver Springs seems to leave the Brooks Ave yard late at night. This train does return to Brooks Ave in early daylight at times, but I've had no luck in catching it.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #978878  by lvrr325

I've stayed overnight next to Brooks Ave. Yard a couple times and both times heard at least one train during the night. Real specific, I know, but it backs up the night operation comments.
 #978904  by Mike Stellpflug

Tha salt mine generally does not load any trains for about a months time starting in mid October so that yearly maintainence can be done on the mines loaders before the busy Winter season. Last year it was about a 4 week period from mid October to mid November when this occured.
Very similar to the coal mine shutdowns that usually occur every July for a couple weeks.

Therefore, you would expect less traffic on the R&S during this time.

Mike
 #978929  by Matt Langworthy

Mike Stellpflug wrote:Tha salt mine generally does not load any trains for about a months time starting in mid October so that yearly maintainence can be done on the mines loaders before the busy Winter season. Last year it was about a 4 week period from mid October to mid November when this occured.
Very similar to the coal mine shutdowns that usually occur every July for a couple weeks.

Therefore, you would expect less traffic on the R&S during this time.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I was thinking about a Saturday R&S chase in the near future, so I'll head elsewhere.
 #978939  by Mike Stellpflug

They still bring empties down and store them at Retsof & Mt. Morris, at least until the tracks are all full.
There will still be trains running to the Springs with freight, they just won't be heavy with salt.

Once mine loading starts again in November, the GW-1 & RS-1 change schedules.
Trucks get loaded at the mine during the day and the train is loaded in the evening.
GW-1 becomes a night train so as to arrive at the mine after the cars are all loaded.

Mike
 #978971  by TB Diamond

Thank you, everyone, for the information.

One further query:

Does the R&S operate a local out of LeRoy? I know the B&O did this years ago but am not sure about the R&S.
 #978978  by Otto Vondrak

Used to be there was a daylight train that left Brooks Ave. around 2:00pm to bring empties down to the salt mine, and bring loads back to Rochester. Haven't been able to catch it yet, it might run MWF.

o-tto-
 #979014  by Matt Langworthy

TB Diamond wrote:Thank you, everyone, for the information.

One further query:

Does the R&S operate a local out of LeRoy? I know the B&O did this years ago but am not sure about the R&S.
The local I saw entered Leroy from the direction of Caledonia and then went back to Brooks Ave when the work was finished.
 #979015  by Matt Langworthy

Otto Vondrak wrote:Used to be there was a daylight train that left Brooks Ave. around 2:00pm to bring empties down to the salt mine, and bring loads back to Rochester. Haven't been able to catch it yet, it might run MWF.
That train is the turn to the mine that I referenced in one of my earlier posts. It departs Brooks Avenue in the early afternoon- usually between 12 PM and 1 PM.
 #979290  by boblenon

Just to echo & reinforce other comments... From my experience over the past couple of summers; Salt trains run in the afternoon - Leaving Brooks by 2pm ("normally") ... and getting back sometime around 7pm (maybe). On top of that; there is the local that runs down to Caledonia and does all the local stuff there; York or leroy (i've seen it do a variety of things on different occasions). This job tends to leave in the evening; sometimes after the salt train arrives at Brooks; or sometimes they meet at Caledonia. This summer; I chased parts of salt trains on just about any day; except saturday.

The trains ive seen in daylight at Silver Springs; or on their way there; has always happened on weekends (I think maybe Sundays) - in the fall or spring.

The interchange with CSX is usually always at night; whenever Ive seen it; its probably been after 10PM. Though, one time I caught the power at Goodman at 7AM in the summer. YMMV!

So, the flipping schedule probably makes some sense - Never really thought about it. I Just figured it was easy to chase salt trains in Summer (June) because I could leave work; and still have a couple of hours of sun - something that doesn't happen in January :)
 #1120408  by charlie6017

I have been meaning to ask this for a few days........just west (timetable south) of the Dewey Ave crossing on the
R&S, there is a couple of ties with reflectors across the tracks. The road crossing was recently repaired by CSX, which
also has its track adjacent. The R&S tracks are still there, but the flange-ways are paved in. I have assumed that this
section of track (R&S's) has been OOS for some time, but am wondering if anyone has heard any confirmed news about
actual immanent abandonment? Seems it has been a long time since Matthews & Fields has shipped by rail.

Thanks for any information!

Charlie
 #1120823  by Hojack One

To the best of my knowledge, R/S has not talked publicly about abondoning that stretch of track to M & F lumber. Yes, the crossing flange ways are paved over and even being OOS hasn't been talked about. So, I guess for the immediate futue it's just going look neat and tidy to drive over.