Railroad Forums 

• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#438111  by Alcoman

It recently came to my attention that Canadian Pacific will soon order ALL the equipment currently stored at Colonie Yard near Albany, NY off it's property.
The owners(some of which is in doubt) will soon receive written notice that the equipment is to be removed or it will be cut up.
The equipment in question includes the following: Alco S-1 # 417-X-LIRR (abandoned) FA-2 # 302-owners are already preparing its move., Albany Port RR S-2 and RS-3 (The RS-3 preservation is in progress but with many roadblocks) NYC Diner/Lounge-scrapping under way. X-B&M RS-3 (Shell)
Several D&H freight cars and passenger cars.
The D&H equipment are single examples i.e 1 of a kind.

Anyone interested in saving some of this?

#438154  by Alcoman

I have just learned that some plans have been made to rescue some of the equipment....Good News to hear!

#438208  by SimTrains

Thats sad, i took a trip to see this equipment a few weeks ago. I hope something can be done.
Here is a link to the pictures of the equipment in question...
http://community.webshots.com/album/560431835SFboKI

I don't know what the CP has up its rear end, the track the equipment is on isn't near any industrial facility that would need it, and certainly not in any kind of shape to be used by anything else.

#438230  by nessman

SimTrains wrote:I don't know what the CP has up its rear end, the track the equipment is on isn't near any industrial facility that would need it, and certainly not in any kind of shape to be used by anything else.
Oh let's get real here folks. Junk is junk. The property belongs to CP and I'm sure they're not receiving any money for storing the equipment that's sat there for years landlocked on an abandoned siding only to deteriorate with each passing hour. If anything, this stuff is a liability as locomotives and rolling stock are vandal magnets.

If you want to save the junk that's fine - open up your checkbook and be prepared to fork over well into the 6-figure range.

Unfortunately too many "historical" or "preservation" societies gather up junk only for the stuff to end up being scrapped because years of further neglect proved to be insurmountable from a financial standpoint.
 #438279  by caboose9

SimTrains wrote, "I took a trip to see the Colonie equipment a few weeks ago. Here is a link to the pictures of the equipment:
http://community.webshots.com/album/560431835SFboKI"

Hi,

The caboose looks like D&H 35706 which was reported to me as "wood, cupola, poor condition, Albany Port RR Yard, Albany, NY, going to Upper Hudson River RR, North Creek, NY."

Obviously, if this is D&H 35706, it never made the trip to North Creek!

Cheers, Roger

#438453  by Otto Vondrak

The time to start restoration efforts on that stuff was 25 years ago. It is sad that nothing ever became of that collection, but the reality is that many of those pieces are too far gone to consider as candidates. Does all that equipment belong to M&H Chapter NRHS? Are they even an active Chapter anymore?

-otto-

#438492  by pablo

No one has ever been able to give an answer to that question, and I think that's your answer. Too bad I didn't win Powerball to rescue it all.

Dave Becker
 #438502  by AbandonedRailroader

Just a quick comparison. Sim took the first pic a few weeks ago and the 2nd and 3rd pics are from early 07 then the owner of the engine is restoring it on-site, slowly. Just thought i'd point out its new paint job.

#438580  by scottychaos

Here is the latest info I have for the units..
might not be correct anymore, but its the latest data the "railfan community" has been able to assemble for my NY alcos page.

Five units at Colonie:

Alco RS3 - ex B&M, nee D&H 4082 (1st 4082)
owned by M&H chapter NRHS.

Alco RS3 - Ex Albany Port RR #2 nee D&H 4126.
owned by City of Albany.

Alco S2 - Ex Albany Port RR nee D&H 3011.
owned by City of Albany.

Alco S1 - Ex LIRR 417.
owner unknown.

Alco FA-2 - WM 302
owned by Western Maryland Railroad Hisorical Society,
who has been working on it and plans to get it out of Colonie.

Its been unclear for years if the Mohawk & Hudson chapter even exists anymore..they dont have a functional webpage anymore.
they also own Four more historic units stored south of Albany at the powerplant, which have also been rotting into the earth for decades:

another Alco RS3, NYC 8254
NYC S1 Electric
NYC T3a Electric
NYC GE U25B

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/NY-Alcos/

thats NINE historic locos in the Albany area!
and only one is definately going to be saved at this point.. :(

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

#438598  by nessman

scottychaos wrote:D&H 4126 - Alco RS3 - Ex Albany Port RR #2 nee D&H 4126. owned by City of Albany.
D&H 3011 - Alco S2 - Ex Albany Port RR nee D&H 3011. owned by City of Albany.
If they're still owned by the City of Albany, then how could they still have D&H reporting marks and be "ex Albany Port RR"?

#438599  by Steamtown Observer

Its been unclear for years if the Mohawk & Hudson chapter even exists anymore..they dont have a functional webpage anymore.
My understanding is that there may be as many as 20 "living dead" NRHS Chapters out there. The National NRHS organization has not moved to clean house because it would make the current national decline in membership look like a landslide.

#438600  by nessman

... and it's not like you can run the VIN # in the DMV database to determine ownership history of a locomotive like you can a car.

#438603  by pablo

I think if someone showed up with a lowboy and the appropriate permits and simply made of with what they wanted, no one would object. Perhaps a simultaneous court claim to the material.

Dave Becker

#438613  by Alcoman

nessman wrote:
scottychaos wrote:D&H 4126 - Alco RS3 - Ex Albany Port RR #2 nee D&H 4126. owned by City of Albany.
D&H 3011 - Alco S2 - Ex Albany Port RR nee D&H 3011. owned by City of Albany.
If they're still owned by the City of Albany, then how could they still have D&H reporting marks and be "ex Albany Port RR"?
Exact ownership is not clear. Someone I know was trying to find out and has contacted the Port Of Albany and the City and was told it is unknown who owns these engines.It is however being looked into.