Railroad Forums 

• Nestle in Ithaca, NY?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1535276  by lvrr325

It seems some Nestle box cars were stenciled for return to Ithaca, NY, rather than Fulton or any of their other locations. Not many, perhaps a dozen, TNCX 43132-43142 among them. Athearn has offered them in HO several times. Some of the numbers run there are photos online but not clear enough to see the return instruction or it appears it's been changed.

Does anyone know what the reason for this was? Presumably they had some sort of facility but I've never seen anything to indicate what or where it was located, much less what was actually being carried in the cars. One person I asked thought they had a warehouse there.

The cars were built in the early 1960s and remained leased to Nestle at least into Conrail, so this would have been served by the LV, but even there, was it down in the valley along the old mainline, or up on the former EC&N?

This is where an old waybill would be interesting.

So far the only thing I've found that I didn't know is it looks like as redone by Conrail today's line may use a bit of DL&W ROW to thread it's way through downtown, from Cascadilla St. north to about 3rd St. Or maybe I knew and forgot.
 #1535378  by RSD15

There was a Nestle plant in Ithaca on what today is Cecil Malone Drive next to the tracks where the storage place is. Sorry I don't have any more info on it.
 #1535480  by lvrr325

1968 aerial shows what could be rubble or maybe an overgrown lot there, with one long narrow building present that is gone today. Do we know when this plant closed?