Railroad Forums 

• Outlaw speeders from 40 years ago

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1538749  by Fireman43

Interesting picture- when I just tap on it on my phone it orientates correctly.
I like the stone foundations AND there are those platforms hanging off the side.
Not up to date or familiar with this stretch of line but does the Adirondack RR still travel to this point or go further? When this pic taken was the line OOS?

I know a whole another thread about the Adirondack I need to revisit.
Thanks
 #1538766  by BR&P

Entire line was out of service at these times. Altho the routine varied, in general we would travel up Thursday afternoon / evening and stay at the lodge at Beaver River. Friday would be a trip all the way north or all the way south, and return to Beaver River, with a trip the opposite way Saturday. Sunday was the trip home.
 #1541561  by DGC-24711

nessman wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:03 pm
DGC-24711 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:02 am Last summer when I was living with my in-laws in Newfane (until we bought a house), my wife and her father rode their bikes to Olcott, and rode into the Burt Dam Fisherman's Park and she told me the trestle was removed. Too many kids jumping off into the water, which is below the dam and I'm guessing means that the water is more shallow so injuries were occurring.
Sounds like you're referring to the Waterport Trestle. The Burt trestle is still there.
Photographs from May 3 2020 of the Burt trestle. I had to correct myself. Please excuse me tossing photos into this thread.
Attachments:
IMG_20200503_153836033.jpg
IMG_20200503_153836033.jpg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 716 times
IMG_20200503_160706670.jpg
IMG_20200503_160706670.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 716 times
 #1541600  by Fireman43

Nice pic -glad you caught it.
Is this fenced off? Looks like posts on either side to maybe hold a fence ?

Like any of these old bridges “watch your step”!
Maybe the last granddaddy of bridges remaining on this line ?
I know mentioned earlier of one East of Red Creek????
And the one @Oswego has been ‘reimagined’ to pedestrians???

Mark
 #1541612  by DGC-24711

Fireman43 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:24 pm Nice pic -glad you caught it.
Is this fenced off? Looks like posts on either side to maybe hold a fence ?

Like any of these old bridges “watch your step”!
Mark
We parked in the Fishermans Park parking lot opposite Railroad St & Rt 78 in Newfane (village of Burt). To the left of the two green Port O Pottys, there's a "break" int he chain link fence. That fence ends at the road, so this opening just made seeing the top easier. There's a sign there, "no tresspasing, town of Newfane", but like the ripped open chain link fence, may have been moved to the side by local kids. The top of the bridge looked like it had a ripped open fence as well. We walked out onto it 5/6 feet and being well past my puttingmyneckontheline days and what looked like private property on the other side, we stepped back and walked to the creek by the fishermans below. There were signs along fishing area (although I guess you're allowed to via boat or wading in) that fishing wasn't permitted on the west shoreline for it was private property.

With no building on the lawn on the corner of Railroad St and 78, I remarked to my wife "that's probably where the station was", and she says "yeah I remember the US Post Office being inside a building like that". There's a PO in Olcott, Appleton and for Newfane, but the Burt PO was leveled. She didn't know why. I wondered in my head "where's the Newfane Historical Society?" because she's always in the car before I know it because I have to read every thing at a museum.