Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1239618  by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for the discussion of the operations, history, and equipment of the Finger Lakes Railway, based in Geneva, New York, portions of which have been operated in the past by New York Central, Penn Central, and Conrail. A reminder that any news stories that are discussed should include a brief "fair-use" quote and a link back to the original.

Finger Lakes Railway: http://www.fglkrail.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
New York State Railfan Moderator
 #1239737  by BR&P

Since we sometimes want to check back on older information, I'll post a link to last year's thread now. That way, when the old thread is a couple pages down, it will be easier to find - IF you can remember to look at this post for the link! :wink:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 8&t=123744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1239767  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:Since we sometimes want to check back on older information, I'll post a link to last year's thread now. That way, when the old thread is a couple pages down, it will be easier to find - IF you can remember to look at this post for the link! :wink:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 8&t=123744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah the guy who runs this site is a jerk anyway. One thing I noticed different from last year is that FGLK has deleted its web site and Facebook page for the Finger Lakes Scenic Railway. Sounds like they are no longer interested in passenger ops of any kind?

-otto-
 #1239791  by clearblock

Matt Langworthy wrote:FGLK still has a link for excursions at http://www.fglkrail.com/passenger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it looks like the excursions are no longer running.
They ran sold out Santa trains for Victor Friends of the Railroad on November 30. I think they did away with the "Finger Lakes Scenic Railway" branding some time ago but still run excursions sponsored by others.
 #1239886  by terms-d

Otto Vondrak wrote:One thing I noticed different from last year is that FGLK has deleted its web site and Facebook page for the Finger Lakes Scenic Railway. Sounds like they are no longer interested in passenger ops of any kind?
2013 was an anomaly; word is 2014 will see a number of passenger runs. Throw in the Corning Secondary and the Seneca Meadows project, and 2014 could prove to be an interesting year for the FGLK.
 #1240504  by terms-d

On my way into work this morning, I heard the Southern Tier dispatcher talking to a Finger Lakes crew on the scanner. He mentioned that the FGLK was supposed to take over operations on the Corning Secondary as of January 1st, but the crew didn't know anything. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
 #1240525  by BR&P

Rule #1 - Anything, absolutely anything, is possible

Rule #2 - believe NOTHING until it actually happens!

:P

Where's AWOL? That guy sometimes hears good info on FGLK stuff. :wink:

Would this be Geneva to Lyons, or Geneva to Corning? I have not heard of any STB filings so it's probably not Corning, and that would not make as much sense for FGLK. Since they previously operated north to Lyons that could be resumed with less fanfare and red tape.
 #1240549  by D&H

Doesn't AWOL mean absent without leave? Seems perfect.
I was under the impression it was control of Geneva Yard Limits only. A crew told me they would wait upwards of 1-2 hours just to receive the yard limits.
Maybe FGLK is taking over the dispatching for the entire Southern Tier District after failed negotiations to take over WNYP's dispatching.
 #1240575  by CPSD40-2

Regarding the scenic railway portion, I wonder if the insurance costs have gone up to the point that it isn't profitable to operate the trains anymore, unless a specific group thats chartering them can afford to pay it?

As for the secondary, I hope this is something that can come together soon. I saw the leased big blue 6 axle units coming into town Saturday night, and kept thinking of how much more those would be at home on the heavier rail up to Lyons, and the lower fuel bill for that trip to interchange with CSX.
 #1240735  by poppyl

I believe that the original NS/FGLK transfer plan for the Geneva-Lyons section worked under the assumption of a 1 January hand-off (assuming receipt of regulatory approvals, of course). However, not sure why that would be of interest to the NS dispatcher since the line has been OOS for some time. Beyond that, I'm following BR&P's rules.

Poppyl
 #1240782  by lvrr325

Clearly they must be getting something that's in service, for the dispatcher to be concerned with it. Geneva yard makes sense, they use it as much or more than NS does. But of course applying logic to railroad decisions is a chancy thing at best.
 #1240803  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:But of course applying logic to railroad decisions is a chancy thing at best.
Ain't THAT the truth! :P (Man, this site has the lousiest set of smilie options I ever saw! Not even a LOL one. :( )
 #1240868  by BR&P

D&H wrote:Doesn't AWOL mean absent without leave? Seems perfect.
I was under the impression it was control of Geneva Yard Limits only. A crew told me they would wait upwards of 1-2 hours just to receive the yard limits.
Maybe FGLK is taking over the dispatching for the entire Southern Tier District after failed negotiations to take over WNYP's dispatching.
Some time last year I heard there was a possibility that FGLK would take over dispatching for Farmrail out in Oklahoma. Anybody know if that ever came to pass?