Railroad Forums 

• Delaware & Ulster Railroad (DURR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1397162  by BR&P

Otto Vondrak wrote:According to the DURR web site, date was pushed ahead a month from July 2 opening to August 13 opening.

-otto-
I'd say that's being pushed BACK.

So I guess they were not "open" when they had the breakdowns with passengers on board during July? Image
 #1397449  by lvrr325

D&U is in a bad spot here. Everything's broken. To fix something, they have to get some income, so they have to run a train. So they run without backup.
 #1399048  by Otto Vondrak

BandA wrote:Do most tourist lines maintain backup equipment in case of failure?
It's a luxury that some tourist operations can't afford... But DURR has three Alcos that I thought were operable, plus an EMD NW2 that I don't know the status of.

-otto-
 #1400512  by oibu

So are there any updates on the current status of the DURR motive power?

Is 5017 in regular service now? Or did they fix something else up as the primary unit for now instead?
 #1431798  by thebigham

http://www.catskillmountainnews.com/new ... Trail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New leadership takes over at DURR and Scenic Trail
Dave Riordan steps down after 19 years

By Brian Sweeney

There’s new leadership at the Catskill Revitalization Committee, which operates the Delaware & Ulster Railroad in Arkville and the Catskill Scenic Trail from Roxbury to Bloomville.

Dave Riordan, who has served as executive director of the Catskill Revitalization Committee (CRC) for the past 19 years, has resigned his position. He will no longer be in charge of the day-to-day operations of the railroad, but will continue managing and marketing the DURR’s Rip Van Winkle Flyer and special events.

Wes Coates has taken over as executive director of the CRC. He began his duties this month.

Mr. Coates brings to his new position nearly five decades of experience in the railroad industry, primarily with Amtrak. The News plans to run an interview with Mr. Coates regarding his plans for the local tourist train in next week’s issue.

Commenting on his long tenure overseeing operations of the DURR and the Catskill Scenic Trail, Mr. Riordan said he thoroughly enjoyed the experience...
 #1434848  by thebigham

https://www.facebook.com/Delaware-Ulste ... ED&fref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello Everyone. We are pleased to announce opening day for the 2017 season will be Saturday July 1st. We have 11Am and 2PM departures for the excursion train. Also at 6:30PM we have a Twilight on the Rails trip with the band Blues Maneuver. We look forward to seeing you this year! You can view this years calendar of events and purchase tickets now by visiting Durr.org
 #1446263  by oibu

Saw that O&W 116 was running last weekend and supposedly 5017 was/is down for repairs. Anyone have any details or know of a place with more active discussion or updates of such things?
 #1446320  by Otto Vondrak

oibu wrote:Saw that O&W 116 was running last weekend and supposedly 5017 was/is down for repairs. Anyone have any details or know of a place with more active discussion or updates of such things?
The updates come as quickly as information is learned. Not much is heard from the DURR camp these days.

-otto-
 #1446462  by oibu

Thanks Otto. I just thought maybe there was some other forum or group where the DURR was more actively discussed since there is so little about it here.
 #1450393  by BR&P

Heard through the grapevine they had an observation car on the ground recently. Any further details? During a trip, or just moving stuff around? Hope it was not serious.
 #1450645  by BR&P

Well, unfortunately it sounds a bit more serious than thought. I'm hearing one truck of the engine derailed, 2 coaches on the ground, and one truck of the third car. Considerable track damage as well. Waiting for heavy equipment to do the rerailing. Not good at all! That's the last thing they needed.
:(
 #1450775  by NJRAILNUT

BR&P wrote:Well, unfortunately it sounds a bit more serious than thought. I'm hearing one truck of the engine derailed, 2 coaches on the ground, and one truck of the third car. Considerable track damage as well. Waiting for heavy equipment to do the rerailing. Not good at all! That's the last thing they needed.
:(
That's terrible! Any pictures available?

I just enjoyed a very nice fall foliage trip on this train on Saturday 10/21. It was my first time ever riding this particular train. While I was really impressed with the overall experience, I did note a LOT of swaying of the cars occurring throughout the journey. I was in one of the open air cars two back from the engine for the duration of the trip. The consist was impressively long, with both the standard coaches, open air cars, and Streamliner set tacked on to the back for a large group of people who showed up on a tour bus. I distinctly remember raising an eyebrow on multiple occasions throughout the trip.... Those stainless steel cars in particular seems to really get rocking and rolling at times.

Were these the ones that derailed? To me those coaches in particular seemed just a bit too heavy for the speed we were doing at times, and the track conditions we were encountering.