Railroad Forums 

• The Freehold Secondary Mystery

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1356626  by Blackseal Jim

I managed to catch the 31 tonite while bringing my truck home from the shop. On the main in front of BGS , was CSX 4423 & 13 cars . 3 loaded c beams were going to BGS so the train back to Browns was still a healthy 9 cars and the splat.
Jim H
 #1357054  by transit383

Yesterday's Freehold-bound SA-31 consisted of CSXT 4405, a tanker car, splat, centerbeam, and two boxcars. I caught it leaving the yard at East Brunswick yesterday:

CSXT 4405 at CP-Carol
 #1373592  by Eric Mezzo

Track Operations Weekly Schedule Update:

Monday 2pm-7pm:
Bayshore Vinyl - deliver loaded cars (1-3 Bevbel hoppers), take empties
Builders' General - deliver loaded cars (1-3 center beam flatcars, 1-3 boxcars), take empties
Reed & Perrine - deliver loaded cars (1-2 covered hoppers), take empties

Wednesday 2pm-7pm
Prestone/Honeywell - deliver loaded tank car, take empty *Shoving platform used for Freehold Boro move
Builders' General - take empties

*Clayton Cement occasionally gets a boxcar of bricks/blocks on a spur at the Builders General team track, but very sporadically. As needed basis.

*Flatcars with telephone poles or railroad ties are also placed on the team track on a sporadic basis.

Times listed above are when train is in Manalapan-Freehold area drilling. Results may vary. Any future changes to this schedule will be relayed by me here.

Happy Railfanning!

-E
 #1375309  by CNWMAN

A Facebook page called "Friends of the NY&LB" has a lot of information and pictures relating to the Freehold secondary lately. Jim H, there's some of your Grandfather's pictures on there, and a picture of him as well. Interesting FB page.

Wondering if anyone has any pictures of the old coal yard trestle in Freehold on Throckmorton street...I believe the concrete supports lasted long after the tracks had been removed from them.
 #1375872  by Blackseal Jim

You've got a good eye Rick ! Yes , those pictures on that page were taken by my Grandfather . I used them in an article in the Pine Creek newsletter years ago and that's where they were reproduced from without my consent. The only coal trestle I slightly have a pic of is the one on Broad St . Its in the background of a postcard picture of the station. Combs & Ellis Coal & Lumber I think. I remember as a kid seeing the tracks in Throckmorton going to where you mention. Old maps show lots of sidings through town.
Jim H
 #1376127  by CNWMAN

I was able to find one old picture of Freehold that shows the coal yard spur off of Throckmorton street. This picture was taken before the Court House was built behind the monument.
 #1376462  by CNWMAN

Jim, the big house in the background was moved around the corner to Schank street before the courthouse was built as well.

Other than blurry historical aerial photos, I have not seen any good photos of the old foundry and its sidings behind Broad Street in Freehold. I think the spur came in near Monmouth Ave. somewhere.
 #1377478  by Blackseal Jim

Another interesting picture ! I never knew where "Boxwood Hall" was located before it's move. Next time your in town , stop by Carlton Realtors. Carl Steinberg is the owner. He owns the caboose and buildings that are visible from Throckmorton St. Super friendly guy with a excellent collection of railroadiana and good knowledge of historic Freehold. He has the only picture I've ever seen of the foundry which would have been located behind his office .
Jim H
 #1398542  by GSC

Right across Manalapan Ave. from the racetrack's parking lot was a building with a long diagonal (to the streets around it) loading dock that looked "railroady". It was torn down a few years ago and replaced by an assisted living facility. Is this the place you are asking about? I never got any pics.

Gary
 #1398552  by GSC

Does the "friends of the NY&LB" Facebook page still exist? I can't find it by that name. Anyone have a link?