Railroad Forums 

• Hillside/Irvington industrial branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1291939  by Joseph DeLuisi

There is a small public team track in Parkview Yard, which is located at the intersection of Frelinghuysen Ave & E. Peddie St in Newark. It is mainly used by a produce company called M.Bross Co.
 #1291993  by ccutler

Thanks Joseph, I see a reefer sitting in there every few months, when I pass by on the RV line. That lumber yard and the scrap dealer look like higher-volume shippers so, while number of customers is down from 20 years ago, actual carloads may be about the same. Just a guess.
 #1292286  by Joseph DeLuisi

Actually the small public team track in Parkview Yard in Newark can best be seen from the corner of Frelinghuysen Ave & Concord St near the DMV offices.
 #1292394  by Sir Ray

Joseph DeLuisi wrote:Actually the small public team track in Parkview Yard in Newark can best be seen from the corner of Frelinghuysen Ave & Concord St near the DMV offices.
So easy to find even Google Street can view it.

However, I think the team track in question from the origin of this thread is the one on Nye Street. in Irvington.
Google Street did not find it busy.

I'm going to edit this even more.
While I had Google Maps (and Bing) open, I scanned around the Irvington branch. At this time, it seems there are only two active customers (always a dangerous assumption with Google Maps), both south of I78 - Oasis Foods on Ramsey (Tank Cars) and Hillside Plastics on Long Ave. (Covered Hoppers).
Be that as it may, I did notice something perhaps interesting on Bing views of the area (not the Google view, which has more obscuring foliage).
In this view (if it works - aerial views tend to be notoriously wonky) there looks to be a passenger coach (or transit car) just to the left of the line of dumpsters (to the east of the self-storage buildings, to the west of the light blue storage tank). Some views (as you rotate around) show it clearer (looks to be used as an office or storage shed), some are darker and less visible, and on Google aerial it is either obscured by trees, or has been moved away. Any info on this?
 #1292465  by pumpers

Sir Ray wrote:... looks to be a passenger coach (or transit car) just to the left of the line of dumpsters (to the east of the self-storage buildings, to the west of the light blue storage tank). Some views (as you rotate around) show it clearer (looks to be used as an office or storage shed), some are darker and less visible, and on Google aerial it is either obscured by trees, or has been moved away. Any info on this?
At one point I think there was a car-builder or renovator in the Route 78 area near the end of the Hillside Branch. Might be left over from that. Might have even been discussed here on rr.net in this NJ Railfan forum. An Amtrak coach or coaches comes to mind... JS
EDIT: found the 2006 discussion in this forum, with links to pictures of the Amtrak car. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 0&p=231649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1292518  by Sir Ray

pumpers wrote:
Sir Ray wrote:... looks to be a passenger coach (or transit car) just to the left of the line of dumpsters (to the east of the self-storage buildings, to the west of the light blue storage tank). Some views (as you rotate around) show it clearer (looks to be used as an office or storage shed), some are darker and less visible, and on Google aerial it is either obscured by trees, or has been moved away. Any info on this?
At one point I think there was a car-builder or renovator in the Route 78 area near the end of the Hillside Branch. Might be left over from that. Might have even been discussed here on rr.net in this NJ Railfan forum. An Amtrak coach or coaches comes to mind... JS
EDIT: found the 2006 discussion in this forum, with links to pictures of the Amtrak car. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 0&p=231649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah, good catch. So it was an abandoned passenger car, and it appears to have been untouhed from 2006 till whenever the Bing images were taken (2013?). ETA: And that abandoned coach was indeed mentioned on Page 1 of this thread in a post by KFC Jones in 2007.
 #1292643  by Joseph DeLuisi

Yes there is a team track on Nye Ave in Irvington too where plastic pellets are transloaded onto trucks. There is also an active shipper in Irvington on Coit St but the name escapes me. As per the public team track in Parkview Yard in Newark, I don't need Google Maps or Bing to view it as I see it on a daily basis. And as I said on a previous post, the 0I-10 serves two shippers in Newark Monday-Friday. Poinier Lumber Co. on Frelinghuysen Ave and AMG Resources, a scrap metal facility, also on Frelinghuysen Ave.
 #1292666  by Sir Ray

Joseph DeLuisi wrote:Yes there is a team track on Nye Ave in Irvington too where plastic pellets are transloaded onto trucks. There is also an active shipper in Irvington on Coit St but the name escapes me. As per the public team track in Parkview Yard in Newark, I don't need Google Maps or Bing to view it as I see it on a daily basis. And as I said on a previous post, the 0I-10 serves two shippers in Newark Monday-Friday. Poinier Lumber Co. on Frelinghuysen Ave and AMG Resources, a scrap metal facility, also on Frelinghuysen Ave.
The Google Street view wasn't meant for you, since you mentioned it in the first place, nor even ccutler, but it was meant for others who might be interested in the rail facilities mentioned in the thread.
Also, is the Nye St. team track still active? I recall seeing plastic pellet hoppers, but that was nearly a decade ago. The mention of an active shipper on Coit St. was intriguing, as I followed the branch north from I78 - is it one of the legs of the branch (I guess the West leg) as it branches north of Lyons Avenue, one leg to Nye St. Team Track, one to the NW?
 #1292923  by Sir Ray

Joseph DeLuisi wrote:Yes the team track is on Nye Ave where the plastic pellets are transloaded. Also the other shipper in question I believe is Manufacturers Reserve Lumber Yard on Woolsey St near Coit St in Irvington.
Well it's good to hear the Nye Ave. team track is still in use. Also, when you mentioned Manufacturer's Reserved Lumber, you mean they transload from Nye Ave. yard also, correct? Because while the Google & Bing views clearly show that the facility at one time had rail service (the siding seems to have headed NW between the lumber yard and the school bus lot, then doubled back - but since Historic aerials is not working for me right now "servers not available"), I'm not completely sure), there's no siding there now.