Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1494738  by RailsEast

Gary, I thought 35mph was the freight limit on the Coast line, but things may have changed (especially if there's a classified 'dangerous' load in the mix).

On another note, I saw that the former DiNaso lumber yard in downtown Lakewood has been taken over by Direct Building Supplies (or something to that effect), and the yard is now full of lumber again after all these years. If there is still a siding, it is invisible right now, but the runaround is still intact, but no cars there this week. Unknown if they will receive cars, or truck in from another supplier (Woodhaven would make sense, but I have no further info).

Chris
 #1494824  by GSC

Would love to see another customer on line.

Remember though, eventually the current out-of-control Lakewood building boom will end, and the lumber orders will drop considerably, and so will the weekly freights we love to chase.

Many locals want the boom to end. Read the local papers to see how the longtime residents feel about it. The roads can't handle the traffic now, and the continued building will only make it worse.

In the meantime, we have long freight trains to chase. Not that long ago, I recall seeing two locomotives pulling one box car through Farmingdale.
 #1494837  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

NY&LB wrote:
GSC wrote:I tread in a previous post how SA31 was leaving South Amboy at 4:30 and arrived at Maxwell Road at 4:50 - twenty minutes.

What is the normal speed for freights on the NJCL?
25 mph

The post you read is incorrect, likely a hour off.

Takes 20 min. from hitting the Southern to get to Maxwell st.
I think the average speed is somewhat 37ish -50 mph (I could be off) But Chris you might be right because of the tanks... [Which would cause lower speeds]
It takes them 45 min to an hour to get from South Amboy to Red Bank fyi.
 #1494861  by NY&LB

I think the average speed is somewhat 37ish -50 mph (I could be off) But Chris you might be right because of the tanks... [Which would cause lower speeds]
South Amboy - Red Bank = 15 miles at 45 Min. that's 20 MPH

Back in the day the speeds were 60 passenger, 40 freight. Just because they raised the passenger speed does not mean the freight speed went up (or even stayed the same!).

Tanks / hazardous material do not necessarily require additional speed restrictions. Work trains, cranes, single unit engines are a few of the additional speed restrictions.

I stand by 25 MPH for freight on the coast line.
 #1494914  by NJT4149

NY&LB wrote:

Back in the day the speeds were 60 passenger, 40 freight. Just because they raised the passenger speed does not mean the freight speed went up (or even stayed the same!).

Tanks / hazardous material do not necessarily require additional speed restrictions. Work trains, cranes, single unit engines are a few of the additional speed restrictions.

The 2013 NJ Transit timetable has freight listed as 30 MPH from WOOD to BRANCHPORT. BRANCHPORT to Bay Head is 25 MPH
 #1494930  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

NY&LB wrote:

Ahh ok... guess I'm a little behind :wink:
 #1494935  by nomis

Average Speed does not equal Maximim Authorized Speed. :-D :-)
 #1494965  by NJT4149

CSX 4412 and about 11 cars today. They will be leaving Browns shortly, as per a friend.
 #1494970  by NJT4149

Permission on Church at 3:01 PM
Permission to open up 3:30 PM
Lined and locked normal 3:41 PM
 #1494974  by RailsEast

Yes, CSX 4412 shf + 12 Woodhavens, approaching Maxwell Rd in Eatontown at 4:45 in the pm.
 #1494981  by NJT4149

Wire reported down between Hope Road and Pinebrook. JCP&L can’t find it; will update shortly