Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1493850  by JohnFromJersey

Are there any updates on when we'll see Clayton trains on the Southern Secondary? I remember hearing rumors it would be sometime in the near future, like late 2018/early 2019.
 #1493892  by Coast Line Railfan

JohnFromJersey wrote:Are there any updates on when we'll see Clayton trains on the Southern Secondary? I remember hearing rumors it would be sometime in the near future, like late 2018/early 2019.
Not that I know of :|. There are some relatively new videos from 2017 that show progress on the line, but otherwise, I really can't say . . .
 #1493965  by R&DB

Coast Line Railfan wrote:
JohnFromJersey wrote:Are there any updates on when we'll see Clayton trains on the Southern Secondary? I remember hearing rumors it would be sometime in the near future, like late 2018/early 2019.
Not that I know of :|. There are some relatively new videos from 2017 that show progress on the line, but otherwise, I really can't say . . .
We probably won't see sand trains anytime soon. The work recently done on the line was from Lakehurst to Woodmansie. There was no work done at the sand mine for a loading facility. The ilne from Lakehurst to Lakewood is not connected and needs rebuilding. From Lakewood to Red Bank needs a lot of work. (It barely accomodates the once-a-week SA31 run.)
Until Clayton has a customer for a LOT of sand and can gaurantee Conrail xxxx number of cars a year, Conrail has no incentive to improve the line from Red Bank to Lakehurst.
Some MAJOR infrastructure projects that need sand would be required to trigger unit sand trains on the Southern Secondary. The current bi-partisan calls for infrastructure improvements may help create the demand. (concrete and asphalt both use copious amounts of sand) So don't forget to tell your congress critters (R or D) to get behind transportation projects.
 #1494076  by OCtrainguy

RailsEast wrote:CSX 4412 shf + 11, approaching Maxwell Ed in Eatontown at 4:50 in the pm. Looks like 9 for Woodhaven and 2 tanks for Bel-Ray this week.....
Chris
I saw those tanks on the Brick Recycling siding right up at the building as I drove on Route 34/33 yesterday.
 #1494381  by Coast Line Railfan

R&DB wrote:
Coast Line Railfan wrote:
We probably won't see sand trains anytime soon. The work recently done on the line was from Lakehurst to Woodmansie. There was no work done at the sand mine for a loading facility. The ilne from Lakehurst to Lakewood is not connected and needs rebuilding. From Lakewood to Red Bank needs a lot of work. (It barely accomodates the once-a-week SA31 run.)
Until Clayton has a customer for a LOT of sand and can gaurantee Conrail xxxx number of cars a year, Conrail has no incentive to improve the line from Red Bank to Lakehurst.
Some MAJOR infrastructure projects that need sand would be required to trigger unit sand trains on the Southern Secondary. The current bi-partisan calls for infrastructure improvements may help create the demand. (concrete and asphalt both use copious amounts of sand) So don't forget to tell your congress critters (R or D) to get behind transportation projects.
I thought the sand would be hauled to the Clayton plant in Jackson? Stavola's wouldn't receive sand, would they? And between Lakewood and Lakehurst isn't connected? It also depends on efficiency. Is it easier to poor thousands (and thousands) of dollars into rebuilding a line or would it be easier to use the existing roadways and increase the current capacity via trucking? (Of course we would all argue that rail is more efficient, hence the entire theme and point of this forum).
 #1494403  by pumpers

Coast Line Railfan wrote: I thought the sand would be hauled to the Clayton plant in Jackson? Stavola's wouldn't receive sand, would they? And between Lakewood and Lakehurst isn't connected? It also depends on efficiency. Is it easier to poor thousands (and thousands) of dollars into rebuilding a line or would it be easier to use the existing roadways and increase the current capacity via trucking? (Of course we would all argue that rail is more efficient, hence the entire theme and point of this forum).
I'm no insider, but from what I've read here and elsewhere it would take a huge project like digging new tunnels for Amtrak/NJT under the Hudson River, to require enough sand to make reactivation actually happen.
 #1494420  by RailsEast

Sand will move from Woodmansie only there is a concrete agreement (no pun intended) to completely fund the Gateway Project. NY & NJ have allocated funds to pay for half of the 13 Billion dollar cost, and they are waiting on Washington to fund the other half. The state of NJ did ok the grant to rebuild Lakehurst-Woodmansie, so at least NJ is thinking positively about this.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/10/18 ... er-tunnel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everyone & their grandmother expects this to get done, the only question is when. The existing tunnels will fail, either incrementally or catastrophically, in the next 25 years. Major rehab on the existing tunnels (another need for sand) could then be instituted when the new tunnels are completed.

Sand, I believe, would travel from Woodmansie to North Bergen, where the Jersey-side portals would be constructed.
I had projected late 2019 for trains to start in a previous post, but for political reasons (2020 election year approaching), it may be sometime in 2020 (or '21).....

Again, this is just my opinion, and I have no inside information on the subject; a tie replacement program on the Southern and the rebuild of the 'Lakehurst connection' over the Manapaqua Creek (Rt.70) will reveal a better timetable.
Chris
 #1494453  by Coast Line Railfan

RailsEast wrote:Sand will move from Woodmansie only there is a concrete agreement (no pun intended) to completely fund the Gateway Project. NY & NJ have allocated funds to pay for half of the 13 Billion dollar cost, and they are waiting on Washington to fund the other half. The state of NJ did ok the grant to rebuild Lakehurst-Woodmansie, so at least NJ is thinking positively about this.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/10/18 ... er-tunnel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everyone & their grandmother expects this to get done, the only question is when. The existing tunnels will fail, either incrementally or catastrophically, in the next 25 years. Major rehab on the existing tunnels (another need for sand) could then be instituted when the new tunnels are completed.

Sand, I believe, would travel from Woodmansie to North Bergen, where the Jersey-side portals would be constructed.
I had projected late 2019 for trains to start in a previous post, but for political reasons (2020 election year approaching), it may be sometime in 2020 (or '21).....

Again, this is just my opinion, and I have no inside information on the subject; a tie replacement program on the Southern and the rebuild of the 'Lakehurst connection' over the Manapaqua Creek (Rt.70) will reveal a better timetable.
Chris
Wow, I never thought of that! That would require a MAJOR rebuilding of the entire line, and Conrail/NJ Transit is gonna need some evidence on scrolls, on paper, on a blimp, maybe on a billboard as well that they should poor the money into the line :P (Though in all seriousness, it would take A LOT of funds, and time to take such a large project. Certainly for a good cause though.)
 #1494476  by NJT4149

SA-31 has permission on the Church Connecting Track at 2:42 PM
Permission to open up at 2:56 PM
Lined and locked normal 3:12 PM
 #1494655  by GSC

I tread in a previous post how SA31 was leaving South Amboy at 4:30 and arrived at Maxwell Road at 4:50 - twenty minutes.

What is the normal speed for freights on the NJCL?
 #1494674  by NY&LB

GSC wrote:I tread in a previous post how SA31 was leaving South Amboy at 4:30 and arrived at Maxwell Road at 4:50 - twenty minutes.

25 mph

The post you read is incorrect, likely a hour off.

Takes 20 min. from hitting the Southern to get to Maxwell st.
 #1494717  by GSC

NY&LB wrote:
GSC wrote:I read in a previous post how SA31 was leaving South Amboy at 4:30 and arrived at Maxwell Road at 4:50 - twenty minutes.

25 mph

The post you read is incorrect, likely a hour off.

Takes 20 min. from hitting the Southern to get to Maxwell st.
Thank you. Just curious, why is freight speed only 25 mph when the NJCL is rated for 79 for pass service? I know freight speeds are traditionally lower, just wondering why such a difference.