Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1508653  by Tanker1497

I was in Manchester today at the Shoprite on rt 70 They have started the gas pipe line in this area and it heading toward the Southern Railroad This is how it's listed on the historical surveys that have taken place over the last 6 years. I read through thousands of pages of gloppie goop and found things related the The Southern Secondary. While I can't say when they will reach the tracks or if they will do them at a differnt time this is just info. If nothing else this kind of shows that someone has plans for this section of the railroad in the future? No! A 40ft hole under the tracks isn't cheap to do if they weren't expecting trafic.

New Jersey Southern Railroad Historic District The New Jersey Southern Railroad Historic District is related to the “Transportation Routes and Railroads” resource group cited in the Pinelands cultural resource management plan (1991:194–205). On June 30, 2008, the New Jersey Southern Railroad
Historic District was determined eligible for listing in the NRHP and is significant for its role in the development of the New Jersey Pinelands, as well as for the railroad-associated buildings, structures, and objects that are extant along the line (Lynn Drobbin & Associates 2008: 184). The Pinelands cultural
resource management plan notes that the arrival of the railroads in 1850 may have been the event that had the most dramatic effect on the cultural map of the region.
The railroad tracks are part of the New Jersey Southern Railroad Historic District
The railroad consists of a single set of tracks on ballast that are elevated approximately 3
feet above the surrounding terrain. Historic maps and aerial photographs indicate that a track
scale was located approximately 50 feet south of the project corridor (Lynn Drobbin &
Associates 2008: . Remains of the track scale were not present in the project corridor.
In the early twentieth century, two sets of tracks were present across the project corridor (Lynn
Drobbin & Associates 2008:. A railroad turnout and siding providing service to JB
MDL is located approximately 200 feet north of the project corridor.

The New Jersey Southern Railroad Historic
District is located in the eastern part of the project and makes up the eastern boundary of the
Pinelands Commission jurisdiction. The project corridor crosses the linear district in Manchester Township,
just 300 feet northeast of the boundary of Lakehurst Borough. The railroad was constructed from 1856 to 1862, from the
Raritan Bay in Monmouth County to Atco in Camden County. The only elements related to the
New Jersey Southern Railroad Historic District that the pipeline alignment will cross are the rails
and ties. The report documenting the railroad does not indicate whether or not the rails and ties
are contributing or noncontributing to the district, but based on analysis of other track features in
the vicinity, it is likely that they are less than 50 years of age and therefore noncontributing. The
closest contributing resources to the pipeline corridor are a timber trestle bridge over
Manapaqua Brook built in 1946 (270 feet southwest), a communication kiosk built in 1929 (385
feet southwest), a signal bridge (400 feet southwest), and the NJ Route 70 Bridge over the New
Jersey Southern Railroad, built in 1938 (400 feet southwest).

The project corridor crosses the railroad approximately 400 feet north of the Route 70 Bridge, at the southeast corner of Lakehurst Borough.
The proposed pipe will be approximately 40 feet deep below the railroad tracks.
 #1508660  by CSX4421

I kinda wish there would be a power change at Browns soon. I mean 5285, 5628 and 4452 are nice and all but they've been around for a while now. Would be nice to have CSX 6160 back or even 6228. No clue what happened to 4421 either
 #1508670  by RailsEast

Steve, do you know where this pipeline might go? I know the Beesleys Point pipeline project was scuttled recently as BL England notified the commission that it will not continue with this plant (although Lakehurst is considerably farther north than Cape May County).

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/new ... 2704a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just curious, thx...
Chris
 #1508671  by CSX4421

RailsEast wrote:Steve, do you know where this pipeline might go? I know the Beesleys Point pipeline project was scuttled recently as BL England notified the commission that it will not continue with this plant (although Lakehurst is considerably farther north than Cape May County).

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/new ... 2704a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just curious, thx...
Chris
I believe that they are going to be building the pipeline and getting rid of the old plant, but here's the thing, couldn't the Beelsey's Point Secondary be used for unit natural gas trains? It would save a ton of money because the tracks are already there, and it wouldn't be as difficult to maintain. Just a thought
 #1508682  by Tanker1497

RailsEast wrote:Steve, do you know where this pipeline might go? I know the Beesleys Point pipeline project was scuttled recently as BL England notified the commission that it will not continue with this plant (although Lakehurst is considerably farther north than Cape May County).

Just curious, thx...
Chris
Southern Reliability Link pipeline in Ocean County its a 30" pipe.
I believe that this is still not an aproved gas pipe line its been held up in the courts for years. But the courts ruled on the right to put the pipe line in but have not approve the gas through the line. In the rulling they said they have the right to dig the pipe line even if its stays empty or run milk through it! It might never get approved till something happens to other lines?

The project corridor within the Pinelands Commission
jurisdiction spans approximately 12.1 miles through Plumsted, Jackson, and Manchester
Townships in Ocean County, New Jersey
https://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/n ... k-pipeline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1508696  by Bracdude181

Does anyone know if there was a power change at browns yesterday? I heard that either NS 5634 or CSX 6228 might have been on a train heading south from Oak Island...
 #1508705  by NJT4149

Here’s my video of last week’s SA-31 and SA-38 chase. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/ZHuKiadgF64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1508735  by RailsEast

CSX 4452, NS 5628 (non-elephantized) with 17 for Woodhaven. Approaching Maxwell Rd at 4:45 in the pm......
 #1508756  by Bracdude181

The train was stopped by the police at Route 88 tonight. There was a report of someone jumping on the train and going for a ride. Train was searched by the police but they didn't see anyone. Train continued to cross street without another incident. They will be leaving cross street shortly.
 #1508817  by Bracdude181

My friend in tinton falls says he heard 5628 go through town around 6:30 AM today. I think it's possible that they did the return trip in daylight...
 #1508832  by RailsEast

Train was through Shrewsbury at 0338 hours, so I believe they made the trip back last night. Funny thing is, they were through at 0336 hours last Friday....I guess that's part of the new Precision Scheduled Railroading, eh?!
Chris