Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1430286  by NY&LB

They made the switch at Roosevelt, using Earle's siding.
I don't think so, Roosevelt siding (around Mile 45.5) is near Asbury Avenue (Asbury ROAD is by ExTech, Asbury AVENUE is off Wycoff / Shafto Road and runs to a long closed gate to the Navy property just past the garbage dump or Land Fill to be PC) and is no longer connected to the main, the switch is long gone and the Navy RR is behind the fence line.

Seems to me that the swap could have been made at the active Navy RR connection by Rt 34, what used to be 84 lumber or Extech sidings by uncoupling both locomotives from the train, then uncoupling the locomotives from each other and running one up the siding and with a few back and forth moves you have them swapped. Using the WYE on the Nary RR would be problematic since it is inside the fence. That assumes that both engines could operate on their own, which had to be the case.
 #1430331  by NJT4149

NY&LB wrote:
They made the switch at Roosevelt, using Earle's siding.
I don't think so, Roosevelt siding (around Mile 45.5) is near Asbury Avenue (Asbury ROAD is by ExTech, Asbury AVENUE is off Wycoff / Shafto Road and runs to a long closed gate to the Navy property just past the garbage dump or Land Fill to be PC) and is no longer connected to the main, the switch is long gone and the Navy RR is behind the fence line.

Seems to me that the swap could have been made at the active Navy RR connection by Rt 34, what used to be 84 lumber or Extech sidings by uncoupling both locomotives from the train, then uncoupling the locomotives from each other and running one up the siding and with a few back and forth moves you have them swapped. Using the WYE on the Nary RR would be problematic since it is inside the fence. That assumes that both engines could operate on their own, which had to be the case.
Yeah, they used the active Navy connection; sorry for any ambiguity my post may have caused. Also, thanks for the correction regarding Roosevelt; I thought Roosevelt covered the area between the active Navy connection and the abandoned siding. I more or less used Roosevelt as a ballpark location. :-D
 #1430344  by NJT4149

RailsEast wrote:Did not hear train return this morning...still in Lakewood?
5311 is going out to Dayton now, so they either went back last night or this morning.
 #1430596  by CTL10D

I pass by the Pine Brook Rd crossing in Tinton Falls every day on the way to work, looks like they are putting up new crossing signals here. One mast of the overhead cantilever signals is in place already
 #1430868  by NJT4149

Here's a picture of last week's train:

https://flic.kr/p/UtH6YK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1431097  by joesirr

At 3:16 South Jersey Dispatcher called SA 31 on the North Jersey frequency and said Transit needed a name - R*** G***. SA 31 repeated name.
 #1431114  by RailsEast

NS 5311 shf +5, one gon and 4 Woodhavens, clear Maxwell Rd. in Eatontown at 5:00 in the pm.
 #1431162  by RailsEast

A shot from Eatontown Junction, as the R&DB and NJ Southern referred to it; those old ties from the old siding are nearly completely gone, thankfully we still have the original main still in service to this day.....

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=4705488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
 #1431408  by michaelk

bigblue5277 wrote:Nice snow shots! What a difference a few hours can make.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4662320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, thanks for the detailed information on the tank car. In this shot the tank car is only one away from the locomotives, but as you said it should be empty and so should be less dangerous.
Sorry I'm late to the conversation and i dont know the railroad regulations but i'd guess if it's considered "dangerous" and must be spotted a certain distance from the locomotives on purpose then i assume it's a DOT "Hazardous Material"?

if so there would be a diamond shaped hazmat placard with a 4 digit DOT ID number- or an adjacent orange panel with the 4 digit ID number. Generally any large shipment of hazardous materials most have that placard/ID number on the outside of the rail car or truck.

i dont see a picture in the thread that i can make out a placard or the orange panel.

But if there's the number then one can find out what it is by looking up in the DOT's ERG (emergency response guidebook) found here:
https://phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA ... RG2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (or there are free apps for smartphones)

There's instructions how to use the book at the beginning but basically the yellow bordered pages are a list of hazardous materials sorted by the 4 digital codes. There's a column for the name(s) associated with the code so one can find out what the material is. Sometimes the name is very generic like "oil, petroleum" - other times it's very specific like "Methyl isobutyl ketone"

(then for those interested there's a 3 digit "Guide" number in bold for that material that emergency responders would use to figure out what to do in an emergency until specialized help could arrive. if the material name is highlighted in green then it's nasty and you flip to the green pages to see how far to evacuate.)
 #1431595  by NJT4149

michaelk wrote:
bigblue5277 wrote:Nice snow shots! What a difference a few hours can make.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4662320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, thanks for the detailed information on the tank car. In this shot the tank car is only one away from the locomotives, but as you said it should be empty and so should be less dangerous.
Sorry I'm late to the conversation and i dont know the railroad regulations but i'd guess if it's considered "dangerous" and must be spotted a certain distance from the locomotives on purpose then i assume it's a DOT "Hazardous Material"?

if so there would be a diamond shaped hazmat placard with a 4 digit DOT ID number- or an adjacent orange panel with the 4 digit ID number. Generally any large shipment of hazardous materials most have that placard/ID number on the outside of the rail car or truck.

i dont see a picture in the thread that i can make out a placard or the orange panel.

But if there's the number then one can find out what it is by looking up in the DOT's ERG (emergency response guidebook) found here:
https://phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA ... RG2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (or there are free apps for smartphones)

There's instructions how to use the book at the beginning but basically the yellow bordered pages are a list of hazardous materials sorted by the 4 digital codes. There's a column for the name(s) associated with the code so one can find out what the material is. Sometimes the name is very generic like "oil, petroleum" - other times it's very specific like "Methyl isobutyl ketone"

(then for those interested there's a 3 digit "Guide" number in bold for that material that emergency responders would use to figure out what to do in an emergency until specialized help could arrive. if the material name is highlighted in green then it's nasty and you flip to the green pages to see how far to evacuate.)
The tank car has DOT placard 1170, which is ethanol/ethyl alcohol. The car must be placed I believe at least 4 cars back from the head end when loaded. In other news, the OI-16 has been abolished as of today; the PR-52 will now handle Browns traffic both directions at night.
 #1431943  by transit383

5311 SHF + 8 (seven for Woodhaven and a tank) through Morgan at 16:00.
 #1431969  by NJT4149

transit383 wrote:5311 SHF + 8 (seven for Woodhaven and a tank) through Morgan at 16:00.
Through Farmingdale at 8:15 PM