Railroad Forums 

• Edgewater and Weehawken Tunnels

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1456393  by NIMBYkiller

What are the dimensions of these tunnels? I know Weehawken is 2 tracks wide as originally built (right?), but what about Edgewater? Also, could either fit double deckers?
 #1582840  by Tom V

Would love to see the HBLRT run to Edgewater and then through the Edgewater tunnels to access the Northern branch to arena fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1582902  by ExCon90

The Weehawken tunnel is already in use by HBLRT, but neither it nor the Edgewater tunnel solves the problem of getting across the Hudson.
 #1582904  by pumpers

Tom V wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:59 pm Would love to see the HBLRT run to Edgewater and then through the Edgewater tunnels to access the Northern branch to arena fly.
It took me a while, but I think you mean….access the Northern branch to Tenafly. (out of control spell checker!!)
Would be cool. There is a natural gas line (or an electric line?) using the tunnel now. Will have to check my Mohowski book if it was once double track .

EDIT:
Picture of double track going into tunnel. https://weirdnj.com/stories/edgewater-f ... in-tunnel/

Also, Wikipedia says there is an electric power cable, and a pipeline belonging to the Hess company, presumably for oil or gasoline or similar now in the tunnel. It also says the tracks (most likely a single track by then) were still in service as late as 1992, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgewater_Branch. The weirdnj site has a picture showing what may be the pipeline, appearing to be about 1-1/2 feet in diameter.

While the tunnel may have officially been in service as late as 1992, I wonder when the last train actually went thru.
 #1582927  by cjvrr

Hess did have a facility in Edgewater that allowed them to unload barges in the Hudson and pump gasoline to and from points west of the tunnel. I believe they used to pump fuel to their other facility that was on the Hackensack River in Bogota. However the facility in Edgewater has been closed and torn down. The facility in Bogota is now a housing complex. So I would gather the pipeline may no longer be in use.
 #1582953  by Ken W2KB

The electric transmission line in the Edgewater tunnel, as I recall, is a 660 Megawatt, 345,000 Volt AC cable which was completed in 2013. It is a tie line to wheel wholesale power between the PJM RTO and the NYISO transmission systems, with flows controllable by a AC-DC-AC converter located in NJ. Some info from the contractor, with photos, can be found here: https://www.railroadconstruction.com/pr ... new-jersey Whether the transmission line would preclude rail use of the tunnel depends on how deeply the cables are buried and the impact of any vibration from passing trains above the cable.
 #1583053  by ccutler

the edgewater tunnel has a very low clearance, my guess was that it was only Plate B. I saw a tank car at an industry in Edgewater some time around 1991, and maybe a cement 2 bay covered hopper around then as well. The tunnel floor was badly flooded back then and I couldn't see safe service through that tunnel unless massive amounts of investments were made to preserve two marginal customers.