Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1495964  by NHV 669

gokeefe wrote:Why can't they use the Russell plow?
The plow probably would've ended up on its side. Lots of ice throughout the notch. They were also using a bucket loader from Coleman Construction to assist with plowing. Honestly, it would have been even harder to clear Gateway, I could see at least three drifts that had to be 3-4' deep if not more at the cut itself.

They may just end up storing the car at NHCR HQ, far less of a headache to move the car 20 miles on regularly used track. Although it also would've helped for CSX to take less than five weeks to get the car between Albany and Ayer.
 #1495971  by gokeefe

I definitely have a greater appreciation for the difficulties of operating on the Mountain Division. I would imagine "back in the day" that regular running would have kept the line open. Still challenging nonetheless.
 #1495976  by NHV 669

George, they did plow several times in November/December, it's not like they weren't ready. This move would've been easy had they not been handcuffed by recent snowfall.
 #1495980  by Dick H

One unanswered question on the Dome is why did it sit in Albany for five weeks.
Perhaps it had developed some issue on it's trip east that CSX, who presumably
moved it from Albany to PAS, would not accept it without repairs.

If the CSRX is unable to clear the Notch line until Spring, it should be moved to
the NHCR HQ at Columbia for safekeeping,
 #1495981  by NHV 669

Dick, that is the likely move at this point. Far less plowing required for regularly used track. Would also like to note that equipment was rerailed by 1400, excellent job by the crew.
 #1495984  by Dick H

TV9 at 5PM Sunday is predicting a total of 12 inches of snow in the "north county"
between Tuesday and Wednesday.

In April of 2009, the CSRX ran the plow through the Notch area to clear the
remaining winter snow, so that the structural engineers could inspect the
line and bridges and schedule any needed work, ahead of the historic move
of two transformers from Hazen's to North Conway (MEC Side) in June. The
#573 and the "sisters" handled the move without incident with veteran
engineer Rudy Hood at the controls, So, it could be April before the line
is open.

For any newer railfans that were not on hand for the transformer move, run
"Conway Scenic Transformer" on You Tube for several videos.
 #1496010  by b&m 1566

And this is the very reason we will never see them operate further into winter than they already do now. To put this into prospective, had the 7470 been up and running, it's quite possible this weekend would have been the Steam in the Snow Special (if they even bring it back), since it always took place the weekend after the new year. Glad it happened there and not up in the notch; the out come could have been far worse. I have no idea if they will continue to push west to get this car, but in my own opinion, it's better to play it safe and just wait until the spring, so what if they have to pay a storage fee to keep the car at NHCR, it will be far cheaper to pay that vs. a tragedy that could be looming further west.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1496012  by BandA

They could rig up a snow-thrower type plow like they have in Chicago or the MBTA has. And/or a giant choppy-blade on the front :-D .

Storage fees for one car may be cheaper than labor costs to plow (& probably re-plow) the line? Do railroads have any liability for slow deliveries?
 #1496021  by p42thedowneaster

I don't think pushing further west is totally unreasonable. It's not like this is the first time a MEC GP38 and a GP9 has done it in. I'm sure the drifts could be difficult to push through, but I think we will learn that it was flangway ice or other hidden obstructions that ultimately sent her off this time. The fact that it appeared to happen on a trail crossing suggests it could have been more to do with people (good intentioned folks merely crossing, but causing ice to build up) rather than the sort of natural occurring obstacles which likely appear further up the line.
Last edited by p42thedowneaster on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1496023  by NHV 669

p42thedowneaster wrote:I don't think pushing further west is totally unreasonable.
Given that it is no longer happening, I believe David Swirk thinks otherwise, despite his eagerness to receive the car.
p42thedowneaster wrote:The fact that it appeared to happen on a trail crossing suggests it could have been more to do with people (good intentioned folks merely crossing, but causing ice to build up) rather than totally the sort of natural occurring obstacles which likely appear further up the line.
This is false. I walked down to that crossing myself a few hours before, and had to climb over the gate, which was locked. My tracks were the only ones there, and the snow itself was at least a foot deep. There was no way to tell what was underneath when they got there.
 #1496032  by b&m 1566

I've been told ice (forget the snow and the snow drifts) can build up pretty high on the tracks in the notch and if the ice is buried under the snow, you won't know the ice is there until its too late. The railfan in me is bummed out it didn't pan out, I think it would have been pretty neat to see such a rare move but old man winter said otherwise and I think its a smart move to just wait given what just happened. Unless they can work on the car at NHCR facility or have NHCR do the needed work over the winter the car may not be ready as originally planned (whenever that was going to be).
 #1496123  by BandA

Biggest ice problems are when plowing is done days after a storm or after multiple storms. Does Frankenstein Trestle shed snow?

How to tell what is under the snow, and what to do with it?

Use RADAR ("ground penetrating radar") or maybe ultrasound? Giant ice chopper (that I mentioned before, like a less-sharp weighted guillotine), Plow blade or snow-throwers followed by flange snow throwers or blades or feelers equipped with resistance sensors that stop the plow if the flange isn't clear.

Magic automatic re-railing tracks that can lift the train and shift it left or right or allow the train to reverse.

Magnetometers to detect the rail, and if it isn't aligned with the wheels, stop the train (what happens at switches?)

How did CSRX rerail their engine in this case? Only takes what, 6" of ice to derail?