Railroad Forums 

• Maine Narrow Gauge Museum Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1333495  by MEC407

For the grownups among us, this is a nice counterpoint to all the child-centric programs offered by MNGRR... :-D

http://www.mainenarrowgauge.org/rails-and-ales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1333601  by MEC407

Anyone know what's going on with diesel #1? Haven't seen it running in a while. Last few times I've been by they've been running their much smaller diesel (Plymouth?).
 #1389786  by MEC407

Mark your calendars:
Museum Partners with Maine Homeless Veterans Alliance to Accept Donations

The museum is pleased to partner with the Maine Homeless Veterans Alliance to “Stuff a Coach for Homeless Veterans” on Sunday, July 3rd.

The community is encouraged to join in this special salute to displaced military veterans and others suffering from homelessness by helping to ‘stuff’ a full-size train coach with donations of new and gently-used clothing, footwear, blankets, and other greatly-needed items. A coach will be parked in front of Ocean Gateway from 9:30am-4:00pm Sunday, July 3rd, accepting donations. Volunteers and local veterans will be on hand to receive items, which will then be distributed directly to those in need by the Maine Homeless Veterans Alliance.

Suggested items for donation include new and gently-used: men’s and women’s pants, shirts, socks and undergarments; lightweight blankets; rain ponchos; men’s and women’s footwear (e.g. sneakers, sandals, boots); summer hats/baseball caps; personal hygiene products (e.g. baby wipes, soap, deodorant, SPF chapstick); cases of bottled water; and non-perishable snacks and foodstuffs (e.g. peanut butter, granola bars).Tax deductible-financial gifts are also appreciated and help to defray the MHVA’s operational costs, which include delivery van maintenance and donation storage fees.

If you’re visiting the museum that day, or on the Portland peninsula, please consider bringing along a donation to help those in need!
I hope I'll see some of you there. I've got a few bags of clothes and other items I'll be dropping off for this very important cause.
 #1390885  by MEC407

Update from MHVA:
MHVA wrote:Primary items now needed folks is T-Shirts, Socks ( all you can give ) suntan lotion, bug repellent , I need many, many cases of water, Blankets, Men's underwear, Women's under things, snacks, shorts, foot powder, talcum powder
. . .

I didn't realize how many articles of clothing I haven't worn in many years until I started rummaging through my closet. I found about a dozen shirts that don't fit me anymore, and will probably never fit me again (at least not in this lifetime!). I managed to fill 8 grocery bags with shirts, pants, tees, and shorts that I'm too fat to wear. Someone out there will be able to make good use of them. So, my friends, check your closets and drawers. If you can't squeeze into it anymore, or you haven't worn it in the last three years, please consider donating it. You'll be doing a good thing for someone in need, and your significant other will appreciate the freed-up closet space.
 #1392748  by BandA

How much would it cost to fix that long wooden bridge? The industrial properties on the other side look cheap, plus they could get to the B&M plant. But the bridge rehab is probably more than the entire relocation cost.
 #1392804  by Cosmo

They were looking at that idea for years starting well over 20 yrs ago.
The ROW in Gray was DONATED to them, and the Town Of is helping them fund/build their new track.
Apparently, what they loose first in Portland is their museum/shop area, but they retain the option to run the tracks, so Portland will likely become a satellite operation for a while while the main focus will be on their new museum/facilities.
 #1393177  by johnpbarlow

Just happened to be bike-riding along the Eastern Promenade Trail in Portland, ME yesterday, Friday 7/15/16, by the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum and saw Monson RR #3 being loaded onto a flat bed trailer to be taken to the Sandy River and Rangely Lakes RR at Phillips, ME where it will be operating.

http://www.srrl-rr.org/
Attachments:
Maine Narrow Guage RR 3 steam engine Portland 071516.JPG
Maine Narrow Guage RR 3 steam engine Portland 071516.JPG (252.56 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
 #1393186  by MEC407

Reverse intermodal! :-)
 #1395752  by MEC407

I am very, very sad to report that Dr. Arthur M. Hussey has died.

Dr. Hussey was an integral member of the MNGRR team for many years. He was also a train host on the Downeaster. I spent many hours shadowing him and learning about the railroad. MNGRR won't be the same without him.

http://dailysun.bowdoin.edu/2016/07/rem ... -m-hussey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1395805  by MEC407

MNGRR posted this on their Instagram page:
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 17.25.21.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 17.25.21.jpg (95.55 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
MNGRR wrote:We’d like to pay tribute to a very special gentleman whom we’ve recently lost. Arthur M. Hussey II has long been the public face of our museum, his kind-eyes and gentleman railroader image gracing many brochures, advertisements, and promotional posts over the years. (In fact, we’ve even gotten special requests from people chartering the train for their wedding if he would be their Conductor!).

Arthur was a founding member of the museum in 1993. Unlike many of the other volunteers at the time, he was “not a bit interested” in steam and was not particularly a rail fan. His focus was clear: he wanted to operate the diesel engine.

He became a qualified diesel engineer and shortly took over the demanding role of Train Master; managing the timetable, scheduling train crew for daily operations and training new volunteers as well as regularly operating the train. He functioned in that role for about 18 years! He trained every conductor and engineer during those years. Arthur also made time to be an active member on the Board of Trustees where he served for the past seven years. His support of this organization is immeasurable.

Arthur was an esteemed geologist and Professor Emeritus at Bowdoin College. He wrote A Guide to the Geology of Southwestern Maine which was just published in 2015. He enjoyed interacting with passengers on board the train and loved to share his incredible knowledge of geology as well as his knowledge of the local flora. He was an enthusiastic photographer and he created a collection of his photographs in book form which the museum sold for many years entitled “Photographic Guide to the Wildflowers of the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad and Portland Harbor Trail.” He took joy in the natural world and imparted that joy to others.

Arthur was charming, kind, and funny. He was much beloved by all of us here and his loss is deeply felt.
 #1411281  by flyingfox10

I would like to mention the Town of Gray is not funding any of the move to Gray. The railroad asked, but the taxpayers voted it down. So MNG is on their own. :/

Also MNG is partnering with the WW&F. The WW&F is hosting a Winter Steam weekend, where Monson #3, & WW&F #9 will pull several trains during the weekend long session. On Sunday there will be a special two engine train run. There are only seats available for the weekend of January 21 & 22. To make a reservation please contact the WW&F at [email protected]

In February Mass Bay RRE will host a charter in a similar fashion with the exception there will only be two trains, and a 3 hour event, instead of 15 hours like the other event will be. If you would like more info on the Mass Bay charter please visit their website.
 #1411847  by Benjamin Maggi

For several years I have thought about doing the "Maine Narrow Gauge 2-foot tour) and visiting the WW&F, MNGM, Boothbay, and the SR&RL. For my birthday in May 2017 around Memorial Day I think I will do it. I haven't yet because it seemed that the SR&RL museum didn't have much going on. However, it sounds like 2017 might be the last chance to see the MNGM before they move and it might take them time to get set up at their new place.

Is it worth trying to see these places in 2017, or should I wait a couple more years? I am really interested in seeing steam engines operating, but a diesel train would be fun too.

Thanks.