Railroad Forums 

• Massachusetts Central Railroad (MCER) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1194524  by H.F.Malone

CV "door and a half" outside braced automobile boxcar that was at Barre Plains is now at RMNE in Thomaston, CT. It was trucked there in 2004.
 #1199030  by Benjamin Maggi

I was thinking of driving from Albany, NY to Mass to railfan the line and try and get some pictures of the new engines. I don't see much on here about the Mass Central in the past year or two, and their website isn't all that helpful. Before today I am not sure if I had even heard of the line. So, I want to come up to speed on it.

What are good places to try and catch their trains? What days do they run? And do they frequently use these Bluebird engines?

Thanks.
 #1199031  by Benjamin Maggi

I was thinking of driving from Albany, NY to Mass to railfan the line and try and get some pictures of the new engines. I don't see much on here about the Mass Central in the past year or two, and their website isn't all that helpful. Before today I am not sure if I had even heard of the line. So, I want to come up to speed on it.

What are good places to try and catch their trains? What days do they run? And do they frequently use these Bluebird engines?

Thanks.
 #1199970  by daylight4449

I've been hearing rumors that two GP40s will be joining the Mass Central on lease... I don't know if this would be bonafide, or if they do show up whether they will be long-term hires like the GP38s. Has anyone heard similar rumors?
 #1199975  by atsf sp

Does anyone know the reason for the need for this increase in power on the road? They were testing that GP15-2. Is that unit still on property? Also will the old GPs be traded in?
 #1200012  by daylight4449

atsf sp wrote:Does anyone know the reason for the need for this increase in power on the road? They were testing that GP15-2. Is that unit still on property? Also will the old GPs be traded in?
That is what I've been attempting to ascertain, but neither I nor my friends have had much luck. It does raise good questions on what will happen to the older GPs, but considering that the 38s, and potentially these 40s, are on long-term lease as opposed to outright purchase I wouldn't be surprised if ,at the very least, the Milwaukee rebuild stays around, in case it becomes an economic detriment to keep the units on lease... As for the GP15, it appears it is off the property.
 #1200713  by MEC407

The lettering on the long hoods definitely improves their looks: http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=209833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1206665  by Benjamin Maggi

I am driving to Boston this weekend from Albany and will be passing by Palmer on I-90 probably around 10:30-11 AM. How likely is it that the engines will be parked outside where I could get some photographs? Also, we drive back Sunday evening. Same question?
Thanks.