Railroad Forums 

• Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad (HOBO, Winnipesaukee Scenic)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1526000  by b&m 1566

On Monday the Laconia city council, will be voting on a resolution to mark the beginning of the city officially supporting the removal of railroad tracks. It will mark the beginning of a campaign effort from the city to try to win over support from nearby communities and at the state level to support the WOW Trail. The city council recognizes the need to have the state's support in order to go before the STB.
See the latest article from the Laconia Rag.
 #1526022  by Jackinbox1

Imagine thinking the state or the STB would willingly let active railroad track get torn up for a walking trail.
 #1526045  by railroadgator

What with the State of New Hampshire being antirail it would not surprise me to see them to allow them to go ahead and remove it. But I have another question that I have not seen here yet. What about the DRAW BRIDGE in Lake Port, Is it not left open so boats may go up and down the channel unencumbered to and from the lake??? Was on an NARCOA excursion years ago and it seemed it took an act of congress to get it lowered even though we was expected to go thru. Seems boats had the right of way.
Another question would be how many thousands if not millions to put a pedestrian ramp / bridge up and over so the boats may still go in and out and not to mention the wet land permits and other permits .
Or are they going to send all the users out on to surface streets to navigate around it and get permission to cross private property to access the trail again????
I hope the WOW people have REAL DEEP POCKETS for I think it could get real expensive to get around the bridge.
Just my thoughts that's all Railroadgator
 #1526102  by BowdoinStation

Current State Statutes in NH give favor to the railroad to operate, and then there is the STB. The Lakeport Draw is kept in the raised position, in season, and lowered when needed, there's no "Act of Congress" to make that happen, maybe a miscommunication though at the time :wink: The outgoing Mayor of Laconia, who is also a WOW Trail Board Member, who also owns the Laconia Daily Sun tabloid newspaper, has contradicted himself, quoting in his own tabloid acknowledging that removing the rails would be almost impossible, while sponsoring a move to support the rail removal. Sounds like he wants to make some noise on his way out the door.
 #1526128  by b&m 1566

The railroad is taking this very, very seriously, they are not brushing this off and are asking for help and support at tonight's city counsel meeting in Laconia. Unbeknownst to me, I was unaware there's a push to have the rails removed all the way to Tilton, NH and the trail supporters have even asked 3M, to consider changing their business mode and use trucks in stead of rail.
For those of you that don't use facebook the railroad posted on their facebook page seeking help and support, blow is a blurb from that post.
we encourage all who are interested in SAVING THE RAILS between Weirs Beach, and Tilton, NH, to please consider attending the Laconia, NH City Council Meeting this coming Monday evening at 7:00pm, November 25, 2019. The meeting will take place at the Laconia City Hall Council Chambers located at 45 Beacon Street East, Laconia, NH 03246. We look forward to seeing you there!

If you’re unable to attend Monday evening’s Laconia City Council meeting, please feel free to share your concerns by phone or E-mail:

Outgoing Laconia Mayor Ed Engler:
Phone: (603) 630-4484
E-mail: [email protected]

Incoming Laconia Mayor Andrew Hosmer:
Phone: (603) 496-2078
E-mail: [email protected]
 #1526206  by b&m 1566

The Laconia City Council tables the push for removing the railroad tracks, until they can gather more information. Click here to read the article and see the video clip for WMUR's camera coverage on this issue; they took notice of the Conway Scenic's owner David Swirk being in attendance for last nights meeting. A show of support for sure but implications of this I'm sure could affect their own operation, should they find themselves facing a similar situation.
 #1526551  by CRail

Mayor Engler wrote:The law was written by men and women and it can be changed by men and women.
I think suggesting fluidity of law books is a pretty week justification for disregarding the law. Here's the minutes of the City Council Meeting, public commentary on rail removal starts on page 3 and ends on page 4.
 #1526564  by ABP4014

If you read further into the counsels minutes there is mention that it was tabled until Ben Clark provides them with a redacted copy of the full Stone consulting study, as apparently they were only give a summary page previously. how long this takes I do not know but I do not think it will be long. need to gear up for the long game.
 #1526723  by FatNoah

The bottom line is that the trail proponents have painted themselves into a bit of a corner. Their main reason for wanting to get rid of the train is to make the trail cheaper to build. However, they've claimed such a huge benefit from the trail that even the more expensive option would be worth it with a substantial benefit to cost ratio.
 #1526739  by b&m 1566

CRail wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:22 am
Mayor Engler wrote:The law was written by men and women and it can be changed by men and women.
I think suggesting fluidity of law books is a pretty week justification for disregarding the law. Here's the minutes of the City Council Meeting, public commentary on rail removal starts on page 3 and ends on page 4.
Supposedly the mayor or a representative of that region had introduced a House Bill earlier this year, that was seeking to overturn that very law. I don't even think it made it to a vote on the floor, so I would expect it to be re-introduced next year. This would explain his response towards the gentlemen, who was reminding him of the state law. It also explains why they were "looking" to gather facts in this resolution (that has been shelved for now), which would seek information on how to address the hurdle at the federal level.
 #1527141  by b&m 1566

Do they still run the specials out of Laconia station with Santa Clause the first or 2nd weekend in December? I haven't seen or heard anything about it for some years now.
 #1534073  by b&m 1566

Back on February 7th the Laconia Rag, reported that the new mayor of Laconia, was pushing for a resolution that would set up a Blue Ribbon Committee, that would include the railroad and lake side communities along the proposed phase 3 part of the WOW Trail. The committee will be responsible to study alternative options for the construction of phase 3, that will address the needs of lake side residents and the railroad. For those not aware the new Laconia mayor, is not in favor and has never been in favor of replacing the rails with a trail. Last Monday February 10th the city counsel voted and passed the resolution for setting up that Blue Ribbon Committee.