Railroad Forums 

• Is this Locomotive still on display in Lincoln, NH

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1528396  by Pat Fahey

Hi
The other night I was looking at some slides, that I took years ago, and came across this one slide. It has been a while since I was in Lincoln, NH so is this Locomotive still on display on Route 112.
When I took the slide, back in 1989, the locomotive was on display in a Mall called The Mill Works. The Locomotive once worked for the Beebe River RR, as there switcher in the yard.
if the locomotive has been moved, does anyone know it's the present location ? as always thanks Pat
Photo by Pat Fahey  Lincoln, NH
Photo by Pat Fahey Lincoln, NH
Beebe River Lincoln, NH May 29, 1989.jpg # 3.jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
 #1528469  by Pat Fahey

Hi GP40MC1118 & trainern8
I did some more digging and found the current location of the locomotive, correct me if I am wrong.
The engine is located at The Depot Center, Shopping Mall, I found this information on a past post of this site.
I would like to Thank you Both for all the help, Thank you, again.
Also a bit of information on the locomotive, The engine was originally built for the B&MRR, she and her sister the one at Clarks Trading post, were used as shop switchers, at the B&M Concord, NH shops.
Built as B&M # 100 class JLB-2 Built 6/30 Builders number 3605, sold in 1941 to the Draper Corp, NH, sold to Beebe River RR, Campton, NH. now on display Depot Center shopping Mall, Lincoln, NH.
 #1528473  by b&m 1566

So, this is the ex-B&M #100, I've been told this engine was the very first non steam powered engine the B&M ever had. Not sure if gas cars/doodlebugs are different, as I thought those came into existence in the 1920's.
 #1528731  by oibu

The loco in Lincoln is not B&M 100. The B&M 100 was a larger model with a bigger cab. B&MRRHS has at least one photo of it. The loco in Lincoln is one of two very small Draper units from Beebe River. It is a DHD model, IIRC 8 or 10 ton. Not sure about the source of info on B&M 100 going to Draper, I can't confirm or refute that Draper may have had it. AFAIK the unit in Lincoln was built new for Draper. It is clearly not B&M 100.

Draper/Beebe River Railroad DID apparently get the much larger B&M 101 30 ton ML-8 Plymouth, initially it was used to bring logs out of the woods on the Beebe River RR but later was used in the yard. There is some question on the history of this unit as dates cited for sale to Narragansett Pier RR and Warwick contradict photos of it at Beebe River.
 #1528795  by GP40MC1118

This is from some old roster notes:

Beebe River RR (Draper Co.)
Campton, N.H.
1:2 10T DHD Plymouth BN: 5309 BN: 9/47 (or 10/47)
Notes: Painted green Line abandoned 1960’s. Reported sold 1985 to a private owner at
Ashland, N.H. Sent in 1987 for display at an outlet complex in Lincoln, N.H.

Boston & Maine:
101 Plymouth BN: 3963 BD: 3/38 Sold 1941 to Draper Corporation (N.H.). Sold to Beebe River
RR (Campton, N.H.). Sold 1941 to Narragansett Pier 33 (R.I.)
Sold 1956 to Warwick Railway 103 (R.I.).
Sold circa 1960 to Armstrong Cork 4 (Millville, N.J.) after being
rebuilt in 1960 by Plymouth.
Sold 19?? to ?
 #1528818  by oibu

I agree with that info from GP40MC, with the caveat that the sale dates do not jive with 1950s-early 60s photos I have seen of the larger Plymouth still at Beebe River. IIRC Bill Gove says it was bought new, I forget if he had a builder number in his roster or not. But it does seem that it was most likely ex B&M 101, just that it went to RI much later than 1941.

Draper did have a third small unit (1o-ton range) which was actually the oldest. I don't have any info on it handy and do not believe I have ever seen a pic. It certainly is possible than through confusion and lack of photos or information it might actually have been B&M 100, but I have seen no evidence to support such a claim.

In any event though, the one still in Lincoln is the Draper DHD, no B&M ownership heritage. B&M 100 looked pretty much like this as a JLB model:

http://www.sonic.net/~jayreed/GreaterCinJL.jpg
 #1528822  by MRY

There was a small locomotive which sat on the siding in Ashland NH for years next to the Bernsen Gallery (old freight house). I always thought it was from Beebe River. Don't know if its still there or if its the one which is now in Lincoln. The Bernsen Gallery (a.k.a. Artist Express Depot) is still in business, if someone is interested, they can call and find out.
 #1528869  by oibu

The engine was originally built for the B&MRR, she and her sister the one at Clarks Trading post, were used as shop switchers, at the B&M Concord, NH shops.
Just noticed this. What Plymouth is at Clarks? The only "critter" (i.e. non steam and smaller than the GE centercab) I can think of there at the moment is the Vulcan from the granite quarries in VT. Is there a Plymouth there too? If so I can't place it.
 #1528881  by Pat Fahey

Hi All
Here is a photo of the Plymouth at Clarks and at Narragansett Pier RR it is Number 35.
The only way to resolve this Is to find a photo, of each Locomotive, when they worked for the B&M, and Beebe River. The December issue of the Mass Bay RRE CallBoy has a Photo of the unit I posted on the first post working at the Beebe River RR. Also Number 35 Plymouth Model HLD, Builder Number 3350.
Plymouth at Clarks trading Post
Plymouth at Clarks trading Post
Clarks trading Post # 35.jpg # 8.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
Plymouth # 35 at Narragansett Pier RR
Plymouth # 35 at Narragansett Pier RR
Firefox_Screenshot_2019-12-19T14-23-15.512Z (5.jpg (61.35 KiB) Viewed 2980 times