Railroad Forums 

• CF7 scrapped in Alexandria

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1017373  by Kuyahoora Valley

The black CF7 that has been stored for several years was just cut up, on a siding at Vulcan Materials by Van Dorn Street. The frame left today on a truck, and only an end platform and a truck were left. Spoke with the scrapper...apparently was a good runner but lack of alignment control couplers did it in.
 #1017627  by RockGp40

What a shame! I never knew there was one in that area. I know of a CF7 on the eastern shore of MD that could have used its traction motors!

Did you get any pictures prior to the torch?
 #1017630  by Kuyahoora Valley

No unfortunately...it was parked for several years at the end of a long siding between the mainline and a housing development, but hard to photograph without trespassing. It's visible on Google Maps at the east end of the Norfolk SOuthern Yard, east of Van Dorn Street. I passed it many times on VRE while commuting to Crystal City. It was put on Rail Swap 2 years ago for sale but there were no takers.
 #1018087  by PVRX1

Alignment control couplers are an investment of $ 3,350.00 to $ 5,000 a set, and another $ 400 for blocks.
 #1021521  by mmi16

PVRX1 wrote:Alignment control couplers are an investment of $ 3,350.00 to $ 5,000 a set, and another $ 400 for blocks.
I suspect the engines problems were much deeper and much more expensive than just alignment control couplers and alignment blocks.
 #1096397  by lvrr325

I don't believe it can even be shipped without those couplers, or if it can only as a special move (big $$$). It wouldn't be the first unit to be cut up for that reason.