Railroad Forums 

• Chesapeake Beach Railway Brill Car #300

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1533273  by CrustyTrainGuy6

Hi all,

I've recently come across some data that claims that the Chesapeake Beach Railway had a Motor Car numbered #300. It apparently ended up on the Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad at some point numbered #340. I was wondering if anybody had any photos of it in service on any of the railroads that owned it? I originally thought it was an Edwards product, but a picture of it in service on the FJ&G showed that it was much bigger than any Edwards car I'd ever seen. A roster I found on the website showcasing the photograph of FJ&G's #340 claimed that the motor car was sold in 1960. If anybody knows if it was scrapped or resold please let me know because I don't have a clue.

All The Best

Nick Jobe
Centreville, VA
 #1547808  by Aa3rt

Nick, First of all, if you don't have it, pick up a copy of Ames W. Williams book on the Chesapeake Beach Railway. I've seen a brief video clip, can't remember where at the moment, of the railcar running on CBRy rails. It may have been on the DVD that the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum offers for sale. I'm at work at the moment and can't check out my copy. I tried Youtube with no luck.
 #1550933  by CrustyTrainGuy6

Thanks for replying Art,

Yes, I finally got around to purchasing the book online and it sure is a great source! Mr. Williams stated in his book that in a publicity stunt that occurred in 1929, the railroad company coupled the Brill Motor Car with locomotives #5 and #2 to see which type of motive power was more powerful. Fox Movietone recorded the event which yielded the Motor Car the winner however some spectators that day claim that the rails the steam locomotives were on were greased.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Nick Jobe
Centreville, VA