Railroad Forums 

• UK visitor to Alberta & BC

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#920418  by DjI

Next weekend, I will be taking advantage of the 3 short working weeks resulting from the Easter, Royal Wedding and Mayday Bank Holidays all coming together in the UK, by having a holiday in Canada/USA.

We're flying to Calgary, then, having 2 weeks in Canada, going Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Kamloops, Ashcroft (for Thompson/Fraser River Canyons), Kamloops again, Golden, Cranbrook, then crossing the border to stay at the famous Izaak Walton Inn on the Marias Pass for 4 days. (Questions about the USA bit will appear in the relevant section on here)

As there should be plenty of opportunity for 'railfanning' in these areas, I have already done some homework by getting the relevant SPV Atlases, and by looking at various websites.

As a result, there are a few locations that I already know the way to, including Gap, Morants Curve, and Lytton to name 3. If anyone can point me in the direction of others I will be grateful. For example, I have seen some good photos at a place a called Henry's House, near Jasper, but cannot locate it on maps.

As this is a family holiday, and I will be doing other things as well, the main information that I am after concerns train frequency and whether some parts of the day, or certain days of the week, are better then others. This way, hopefully, I won't spend too much time hanging around.

Previous experience makes me realise that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to train running, but I will be grateful for any information that can be provided.

David
 #920536  by Ken V

It seems you've done your research quite thoroughly. I am not really familiar with that part of this vast nation so there's very little I can add except to say that both the CP and CN mainlines are quite busy at all times. You shouldn't encounter any lengthy periods of inactivity whichever day or time you choose, barring a line closure. I notice you didn't mention the Spiral Tunnels on the CPR east of Field BC. Perhaps this famous landmark is already on your busy itinerary.
 #921473  by DjI

Thanks for the response, Ken. I have the spirals tunnels on my list and, in fact, I will be staying at Emerald Lake, which is quite close to them; however, from what I have found out, photography is not too promising there. I have now located Henry's House, too; I should have used my road and rail atlases instead of Google Maps, which has it in the wrong place!

David