Railroad Forums 

• Ontario Northland TEE Consist

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#860453  by ONRFan

GidDay! I am emailing in regards to inform who it may concern. There are two TEE train cars sitting in Ontario. These two cars are from the Ontario Northland railroad TEE train sets that operated in the 1970's. These two cars are going to be cut up for scrap metal in the next few months as vandals have badly damaged the cars inside. My wish as a fellow rail fan is that this be known to the those who are interested in the Swiss TEE cars that operated in Canada. So maybe they can be saved from the scrap yard cutting torch. Here is a photo of the cars. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikon-norm/2178831339/

If anyone is interested in trying to save the TEE consist please let me know?

Robert
 #861203  by timberley

It's always sad to see a set of equipment reduced to that state. It really is. What you're trying to do (in terms of letting people know so they can get their final visits in, or hopefully try to save it!) is really fantastic, way to go!

Unfortunately in this case, I doubt there is likely to be interest in saving it. You could perhaps start a campaign, in which you could negotiate terms with the ONR and whoever's scrapping it, to hold off until you raised the funds. Who knows.

I just don't know how much interest there would be. It was a unique set of equipment for sure, but it's real glory days were while it operated in TEE service in Europe. If I'm correct, after their retirement one of the sets was shipped back to Europe, and has been restored to its original state and preserved over there, where it seems more appropriate. Still, I would love to see the ONR set preserved. In fact, I'm one of those who is sad to ever see any piece of equipment end up like that :( Too bad we can't save them all.
 #861231  by ONRFan

Tim, I would like all those who are interested in saving the TEE cars to write the North Bay Heritage society and let them know you care. Or even volunteer some time and possibly donate money, tools, etc to help save the TEE cars and the CAT powered #2002.

Robert
 #862051  by MikeCDN

I rode this consist while on my way up to Moosonee in 1989 and thought it was pecualiar at the time. The ride was fairly smooth and enjoyable. As was the scenery. The ONR must have gotten them at a bargain at the time.

It's depressing to see the set in such disrepair as is seeing the F Unit in the same state. It would be nice to see the F Unit restored with the ONR paint scheme of the time. I wish you well in your efforts.

My question is, was the cab on the passenger rail car designed for an electric set? Or was it an RDC - style unit?

I've also noticed they're still using B Units on the Northlander. Is this for traction power or to power the passenger cars?

M.
 #862308  by Montrealrail

F-unit was a traction unit..

But I eared about that train have been returne to it's original provenant in th European continent(i remember I saw a youtube video,showing it in England in poor condition,but I can't find back this video),but I had no confirmation about it,I just know that ONR get one or two set of that kind.
I can't tell if one of thse unit still in Canada.
 #862479  by timberley

MikeCDN wrote:I rode this consist while on my way up to Moosonee in 1989 and thought it was pecualiar at the time. The ride was fairly smooth and enjoyable. As was the scenery. The ONR must have gotten them at a bargain at the time.

It's depressing to see the set in such disrepair as is seeing the F Unit in the same state. It would be nice to see the F Unit restored with the ONR paint scheme of the time. I wish you well in your efforts.

My question is, was the cab on the passenger rail car designed for an electric set? Or was it an RDC - style unit?

I've also noticed they're still using B Units on the Northlander. Is this for traction power or to power the passenger cars?

M.
The original TEE set was a diesel powered train set, with a locomotive at one end and the passenger cab-car at the other, in a semi-permanently coupled 4 car arrangement. When ONR originally bought the sets, they had the original TEE locomotives running with them. The locomotives looked very much like the cab cars, but without the passenger windows. They were a nightmare to maintain, and suffered severely in the Canadian winters, so they were scrapped and replaced by F-units. Photos are hard to come by, but here are some I found:

Here's the loco in Europe in TEE paint:

If you look here you can see an old Marklin model of the train, showing the loco in ONR colours:
http://uwacadweb.uwyo.edu/rgodby/trains ... n_3150.htm

Here's a good one in ONR colours:
http://www.rr-roadtrip.com/onr1961e.jpg
(from the site: http://www.rr-roadtrip.com/ONR1.htm)

Hope that helps answering your question.

Also, here's a page talking about the equipment, and particularly about the set that was returned to Europe for restoration: http://www.stichtingtee.nl/index.cfm?fu ... =1&mn_Id=6
 #862551  by NS VIA FAN

timberley wrote: The original TEE set was a diesel powered train set, with a locomotive at one end and the passenger cab-car at the other, in a semi-permanently coupled 4 car arrangement. When ONR originally bought the sets, they had the original TEE locomotives running with them. The locomotives looked very much like the cab cars, but without the passenger windows. They were a nightmare to maintain, and suffered severely in the Canadian winters, so they were scrapped and replaced by F-units.
Here's one of the replacement F's with a TEE consist at North Bay in January 1983.

#862627  by Ken V

MikeCDN wrote:I've also noticed they're still using B Units on the Northlander. Is this for traction power or to power the passenger cars?
The B units provide electric power to the consist. They do not have traction motors.