Railroad Forums 

• 1955 London, Ontario to Cleveland?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#656656  by madlove

Hi Everyone...
I'm new to the forums, hoping someone can answer some questions I have regarding a book I'm working on: Was there a railroad that ran between London Ontario Canada and Cleveland, Ohio in the fall of 1955? If so, what was the name of the line and /or the train? Thanks in advance! Chris
 #656686  by TrainDuNord

My best bet would be to take the CN down to Buffalo and then transfer to New York Central's Cleveland Ltd which made the journey from NYC to Cleveland.
 #656736  by Ken V

Since Cleveland Ohio and London Ontario are situated on opposite sides of Lake Erie there has never been a direct rail line between the two cities. In 1955 it may have been possible to travel by train on the London and Port Stanley Railway, an interurban line at the time, and then by boat across Lake Erie. Another option would have been to take a train to Detroit on one of several railways from London (or St. Thomas via the L&PS) and then change trains to Cleveland.
 #656772  by CarterB

Sorta six of one -- half dozen of the other. Either CP or CN over to Buffalo then on to Cleveland {NYC, NKP) or over to Detroit and back to Cleveland {NYC}