Railroad Forums 

• Maps of Canadian ROWs?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#469954  by trainsinmaine

Are there online maps that depict Canadian railway rights-of-way --- present-day and abandoned --- in a fashion comparable to the historical United States Geological Survey maps posted online by Maptech and the University of New Hampshire?

There are some old rail lines in Quebec and the Maritimes that I sure would like to trace.

#473259  by graftonterminalrr

You and me both.

I'm heading to the NB Provincial Archives tomorrow to see what they may have. let me know if you would like copies or info.

#476148  by salminkarkku

"Topozone" seems to have started to put Canadian topographical maps online. Have a look.
 #477836  by TrainDuNord

trainsinmaine wrote:Are there online maps that depict Canadian railway rights-of-way --- present-day and abandoned --- in a fashion comparable to the historical United States Geological Survey maps posted online by Maptech and the University of New Hampshire?

There are some old rail lines in Quebec and the Maritimes that I sure would like to trace.
A map of the current lines in Quebec is available on the Quebec Department of Transports site:

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/p ... viaire.pdf
(pdf format)

The old topographic maps for the whole province are on the Quebec National Library site:

http://services.banq.qc.ca/sdx/cep/accu ... =topo63360

but the site is all in French. Click on the "Lieu" button on the left for a list of maps by town.
 #484517  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I found these Canadian rail maps thru a link to the Railway Association of Canada - there are provincial as well as regional maps posted at: www.proximityissues.ca/english/maps1.cfm -and- atlas.railcan.ca
I printed a set out of the group listed-other than problems sizing the Toronto and Vancouver area maps on PDF - even these came out OK in the end-they printed out fine and in color. It definitely is worth a look!
MACTRAXX