Railroad Forums 

• Montreal Railfanning Questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#657970  by TrainDuNord

atsf sp wrote:Thanks. But I have a few more questions, is there any way of easily viewing Taschereau Yard, especially the engine house and hump? How many CP trains run through Dorval each day and how often are AMT trains on that line and what power do they use?
I don't know about the CP trains, but here is the schedule for the AMT line that goes thru Dorval:

http://www.amt.qc.ca/docs/pdf/train/Depliant_RG.pdf

AMT locos on that line are mostly F59PHI with occasional GP-9s and F40PHs.
 #658163  by atsf sp

TrainDuNord wrote:AMT locos on that line are mostly F59PHI
Cool, I really want to see some of those. Does anyone know if there are any hotels in that area that overlook the tracks? And which rail portal into Montreal has the most freight traffic?
 #658169  by atsf sp

Kaback9 wrote:There is a Mariott for the airport near by.
Does that overlook the tracks?
 #658172  by atsf sp

Thanks, I'll look into it. Is it the CP/AMT line or CN line that is overlooked?
 #658178  by Kaback9

atsf sp wrote:Thanks, I'll look into it. Is it the CP/AMT line or CN line that is overlooked?
Both.

Map
Info
 #658851  by Dieter

A bit farther west from Dorval on 20, Beaconsfield offers another accessable platform between the tracks if you want a different background for pictures from Dorval. You may get trains moving faster through Beaconsfield as well.

D/
 #659477  by SLR 393

There is also a nice little hobby shop called Hobby Junction, they are located on the road that parallels route 20 between Dorval and Beaconsfield. The tracks are right across the street - the whole store shakes when a train goes by. Decent N scale selection if that interests you.

Hobby Junction Express
1761 Cardinal
Dorval, Quebec
514 631-3504
 #661532  by SLR 393

Heading up Monday to see the Habs game at Bell Centre....going to spend Tuesday at Dorval I think. Anyone know the usual time (if there is one) for a CN transfer run out of Hochelaga on the waterfront trackage?

Thanks
 #661787  by Montrealrail

there are no CN's on the side of the river after Central Station,expext old port of Montreal,where the track is changing to the CP after Bonsecours Street..
but,for the one who wnat to see intermodals,that's the place to go,from Jacques Cartier Bridge,you can get a very nice view to the east and see a long way foward over the yard

a video of the open house in the yard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HvF5MFCxQ

last summer,they made an open house,to show to the public,the inside of the yard,but we where in a AMT train,specially reserved for that day,next june 13th,the CN will do the steel challenge,I should be there that day,they let the public visit a locomotive most of the time,last year,I get the chance to visit the 8800 CN's SD70-M2
heres a video of the last year event..(there's actualy no sound,but I made an audioswap to get some new sound)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYM32iZTENA

By the way,while you will be at the Habs game next monday,you should come earlier,because the AMT train station are the and you can do some trainspotting and go to the hochey game in less than 1 minute of walk,it's on the same building

as you can see there,you will be able to see all kinds of AMT train,event the odl NJTransit rolling stock,leased to the AMT
a view from the platform

and one from inside

on next monday,you will get around 15 arrivals & departures between 3 and 7 O'clock
 #661907  by SLR 393

We are staying at the Marriott, and asked for a Seaway view room so we can watch the trains over by cape yard. We stayed there last trip as well, walked over to Lucien D' Allier last time but no trains were headed to Dorval, so we got in the car and drove back out there. Later this summer (august I think) we may meet our friends from Connecticut up there again, and if we do then we will ride the AMT out to Dorval for the day (we will be at the Marriott again).

We are meeting a friend from Ste. Therese for the game, so we are going in an hour before it starts.

Last trip we chased two CN loki's from Cape Yard along the waterfront and right into Hochelaga, even with traffic lights we kept right up with them. Seeing them roll through the park was awesome. I guess we got pretty lucky, and the lead power was an SD50f trailing a SD70M-2! PM me your email if you would like to see a few pics.
 #661951  by atsf sp

Montrealrail wrote:By the way,while you will be at the Habs game next monday,you should come earlier,because the AMT train station are the and you can do some trainspotting and go to the hochey game in less than 1 minute of walk,it's on the same building

as you can see there,you will be able to see all kinds of AMT train,event the odl NJTransit rolling stock,leased to the AMT
a view from the platform
What station is that?