Railroad Forums 

• Roberval & Saguenay Alcos

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#186100  by sallenparks

R&S C420 41 is now down in Scraton PA in bad shape the M420TR is I belive some where near Rochester NY or a little further east.The C420 is owned by a locomotive dealer/broker named Ed Bowers he has several ALCO's LIMA's G.E.'s and EMD's stored in alot of different place's many of which I belive are in Tennesse.

#186716  by 2spot

If Ed Bowers bought one in bad shape then there must not be anything much left of the others there. The Canadian Trackside Guide (Bytown Railway Society) shows no listing for BG Metals in Quebec so theyre probably gone. What is the M420TR doing in Rochester NY now? Does Ed Bowers have a website?

#186737  by sallenparks

The M420TR is owned by the Central New York Chapter of the NRHS I belive as for ED no website I know of.

#187055  by 2spot

Any idea if any of these units are complete?

#187234  by Alcoman

All the units are missing parts. At least one unit no longer has its engine or gen set.

#505646  by Mr GP10

Hi People, I was just wondering if any one has any photos or videos of the R&S Alco C-420s in action any response would be great Thank You. :-)

#506513  by sallenparks

Mr.GP10 Highball has a tape on the R&S.

#507019  by Mr GP10

Hi Sallen, thank you for the response I have that copy from Highball I was just looking to see if any one else had their own footage. Im surprised no one has any pics of it on here or youtube. Again, Thank You.

#507055  by pablo

I would expect that it is a matter of time until all of the 251's are gone. I wonder if no one knows they're up there.

Dave Becker
 #511513  by MACTRAXX

2Spot: Are 36,40 and 41 the former LIRR C420s? Is any info available on the history of #33? I feel if they are now available perhaps LIRR historical groups could possibly get together to consider bringing one back to LI.

The LIRRs C420s were the backbone of LIRRs Diesel fleet from 1964 to when the EMD GP38s arrived in the late 70s. It would be a nice addition to the RR Museum of LI or the Oyster Bay RR Museum-the two most likely homes for a preserved C420. MACTRAXX

#511611  by Ken V

According to the Canadian Trackside Guide (2000 edition) 33, 36, 40, and 41 were all former LIRR locomotives - 209, 216, 206, and 211 respectively.
 #548385  by Alcoman

The C420 # 31 is owned by the Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad now. The M420TR is owned by the Central NY Chapter,NRHS and is on long term lease to the Adirondack Scenic. It currently is getting an overhaul.

Re:

#668517  by scharnhorst

sallenparks wrote:R&S C420 41 is now down in Scraton PA in bad shape the M420TR is I belive some where near Rochester NY or a little further east.The C420 is owned by a locomotive dealer/broker named Ed Bowers he has several ALCO's LIMA's G.E.'s and EMD's stored in alot of different place's many of which I belive are in Tennesse.
Both the C420 and the M420TR sat in Jamesville, NY for a while and were vandalized there. The C420 from what I know of was bought by Ed Blowers. The M420TR was bought by the Central New York Railroad Historical Society and I believe it went to Rome, NY to the MA&N for some work and is being leased out to a local industry? but not sure.

I did get some photos of the C420 in Scranton, PA on May 3ed in its new Gray and White paint job.