Railroad Forums 

• New BL20GH Locomotive by Brookville

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#675530  by Allen Hazen

"six for CDOT, and six for MNRR so far"

I assume that (as with the MN and CDOT Genesis) Metro-North considersw them all as a single class, assigning them to operations in New York or Connecticut without regard to the paint color? The New Haven inspired CDOT colors are used on some units because Conn DoT finances them: is there an actual difference in their legal ownership status?
 #675575  by DutchRailnut

Yes the 4 x P32acdm #228 - 231 and 6 x BL20gh # 125 -130 are owned by Connecticut Department of Transportation, so are 2/3th's of M2/4/6 fleet and about 42 Bombardier cars.
The fleet of CDOT is not only painted in CDOT color but assigned seperate sub class numbers.
Their use is in general MNCR pool service.
Ownership is defined by Brass plate on each unit and by blue forms.
 #675933  by Allen Hazen

Dutch--
Thanks for the details!
As for the two subfleets being operated as a pool, that was my impression: I don't get to Metro North territory very often (it's a problem, living in Australia!), but the one time I have ridden behind a Metro-North liveried P32 was on a Waterbury train, and the one time I have been pulled by a ConnDot P32 was on a train to Wassaic.
 #779375  by MBTA1052

Power wise how do these Engines Perform figuring they are rated at 2200HP or so and how many cars can they pull & Push :-) ???
 #779400  by FL9AC

The HEP diesel is maxed out with four coaches but that was what was spec'd, but main engine-wise it has plenty of HP to pull a very sizeable train. They have rescued 10 car Amtrak consists with engines with no problems.
 #854920  by DutchRailnut

there are 6 more BL20gh units budgeted, but not yet ordered, maybe they will hold off till next budget cycle and keep the GP35's a bit longer.
 #881946  by chucksc

FL9AC wrote:The HEP diesel is maxed out with four coaches but that was what was spec'd, but main engine-wise it has plenty of HP to pull a very sizeable train. They have rescued 10 car Amtrak consists with engines with no problems.
Don't they have "freight gearing" aka 70 mph instead of 100/110 "passenger gearing"?

If so I guess that should help them pull a few more cars than you would think....
 #882114  by DutchRailnut

The Bl20gh is geared at 75 mph, 8 miles lower than a F-10, 110 mph gearing would be high end passenger gearing.
most passenger locomotives were geared to 83 mph gearing, but due to Engineering exess the 100 mph mark could be done.
The BL20gh however is a branchline locomotive, not a mainline locomotive.
 #882157  by MEC407

What are the speed limits on the lines this locomotive is typically used on?
 #882170  by DutchRailnut

50 on Danbury
59 on Waterbury
70 on upper Harlem.
 #882176  by MEC407

Thanks!
 #882223  by MEC407

Based on this photo:

http://dieselman.wordpress.com/2008/02/ ... haven-1-2/

The NH-painted units have electronic bells, and what appears to be a Nathan K3LA with the #1 trumpet reversed. It could also be a K3L; if anyone has a video with the horn audible, I can tell you whether it's an LA or an L.