Poughkeepsie Bridge - Walkway Over the Hudson

General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

scottychaos

Re: Poughkeepsie Bridge Anti-Vandal Walkway Design

Post by scottychaos » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:21 am

During the 15 or so years the walkway was under construction, they also had a fairly large fence and gate at both ends,
preventing people from walking out onto the bridge when the walkway was closed, and no one was around..
I would imagine those are also still in place..

yeah, its too bad they can just have a nice walkway with no big fence "barrier" blocking the view..
but in todays world, everthing must be built with morons and criminals in mind..sad.

I was out on the bridge a few times in the mid 90's, in the early days of the walkway project..its very impressive!
but I havent been back down that way since it was complete..need to make a trip! :)

Scot
~ Scot Lawrence
Moderator: Lehigh Valley
Co-Moderator: Anthracite Railroads
Scot's railroad webpages

Noel Weaver

Post by Noel Weaver » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:32 am

scottychaos wrote:During the 15 or so years the walkway was under construction, they also had a fairly large fence and gate at both ends,
preventing people from walking out onto the bridge when the walkway was closed, and no one was around..
I would imagine those are also still in place..

yeah, its too bad they can just have a nice walkway with no big fence "barrier" blocking the view..
but in todays world, everthing must be built with morons and criminals in mind..sad.

I was out on the bridge a few times in the mid 90's, in the early days of the walkway project..its very impressive!
but I havent been back down that way since it was complete..need to make a trip! :)

Scot
You will enjoy the walk across this bridge, all of it, I did it when I was up north in November, 2009.
Noel Weaver

RussNelson

Post by RussNelson » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:22 pm

scottychaos wrote:yeah, its too bad they can just have a nice walkway with no big fence "barrier" blocking the view.
Au contraire, my friend! The barrier is only over a small portion of the bridge. Look at the Flickr photostream of the bridge and you'll see that most of the bridge has a simple handrail.

njt/mnrrbuff

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:47 pm

While that fence makes it very tough for photographs of the Hudson Line, you can get good shots of it from regular streets below. You can get good shots of CSX from the walkway. I plan to make a trip back there sometime this spring.

Mark_K

Post by Mark_K » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Russ, that's a lovely shot. 600mm telephoto or did you finally venture past the Highland bluffline? :-D

A few photos from my early November 2009 visit:

The fences are are a bit of a nuisance for River Line fans, but...safety first.

No problems over the West Shore though!

And, profound apologies for venturing O/T, the maritime photo opps are great.

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:31 am

It is possible to get a halfway decent photo on the eastern side of the river ( Metro North). Here is a photo I got of Metro North's Inspection Train in the Station back in October 2009. I shot it through the fencing, but had to take some time to manually focus, IIRC the edges were blurred a bit, and I cropped those portions out.

Mark_K

Post by Mark_K » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Nice job, Kurt. I tried shooting through the fence with my pocket digicam (with mixed results), but it was too much of a bother with my DSLR lens.

I suppose NYS could put some sort of viewing port in the chain links, but then there remains the problem of idiots trying to throw things through them (not that they can't throw things over the fence currently).

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:29 pm

The fence is only directly above road and railroads, rest of bridge is fence free.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

RussNelson

Post by RussNelson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:21 am

Mark_K wrote:Russ, that's a lovely shot. 600mm telephoto or did you finally venture past the Highland bluffline? :-D
Haha, very funny, yes, I had no trouble walking on the nice sturdy concrete rather than the grating which wasn't always supported on both ends!

No, that's somebody else's photo ... I just picked it because it gives you a nice view of how fence-free the rest of the bridge is. And yes, I was very disappointed to see a fence over the MNRR line, and Yes, it would be very nice if they put in some photo portals (before some ya-hoo railfan with a pair of clippers and a bolt-on metal frame does it, hint, hint, if you're going to do it, wear a hi-viz vest and a hardhat, you can do ANYTHING if you're wearing a hi-viz vest and a hardhat particularly if you have a clipboard with a fake work order on it), and YES, if the goal was to prevent purposeful dropping of objects it needs to go completely over the top of the walkway.

Mark_K

Post by Mark_K » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:46 pm

RussNelson wrote:
Mark_K wrote:Russ, that's a lovely shot. 600mm telephoto or did you finally venture past the Highland bluffline? :-D
Haha, very funny, yes, I had no trouble walking on the nice sturdy concrete rather than the grating which wasn't always supported on both ends!
Undoubtedly if you had been wearing a hi-viz vest and a hardhat while holding a clipboard with a fake work order on it, you could have summoned the courage to make it out to the observation platform c. 2008.

I'd be well up for putting a petition together to present to Fred Schaeffer and the Walkway staff (or NYS Parks Department functionaries to be named later) to see if photo portals over Metro-North could be created... easily and inexpensively, of course. On the downside I can see the foamers bashing each other to pieces trying to get prime portal viewing spots for [wait for it] an unscheduled local freight job.

Noel Weaver

Post by Noel Weaver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:11 am

Objects thrown and dropped off overhead bridges on to highways/vehicles and railroads/trains are a big problem and a big
issue. It is far more important to protect people in their cars, trucks, buses etc as well as locomotive cabs from stuff being
dropped from overhead bridges.
Unfortunately today common sense requires these screens, as always a few have ruined it for others. The fences should
remain as they are and photographers need to be a bit more resourceful in their endeavors. Good pictures are possible but
it just requires a bit more work and maybe stronger lens as well.
Noel Weaver

RussNelson

Post by RussNelson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Noel Weaver wrote:Good pictures are possible but
it just requires a bit more work and maybe stronger lens as well.
Throwing objects is possible but it just requires a bit more work and maybe stronger arms as well.

Those who will give up any amount of advantage for a little security will have neither the advantage nor the security at the end of the day.

JBlaisdell

Post by JBlaisdell » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:42 pm

RussNelson wrote: And yes, I was very disappointed to see a fence over the MNRR line, and Yes, it would be very nice if they put in some photo portals (before some ya-hoo railfan with a pair of clippers and a bolt-on metal frame does it, hint, hint, if you're going to do it, wear a hi-viz vest and a hardhat, you can do ANYTHING if you're wearing a hi-viz vest and a hardhat particularly if you have a clipboard with a fake work order on it), and YES, if the goal was to prevent purposeful dropping of objects it needs to go completely over the top of the walkway.
Sounds like a thinly veiled endorsement for vandalism...

RussNelson

Post by RussNelson » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:14 pm

JBlaisdell wrote:
RussNelson wrote: And yes, I was very disappointed to see a fence over the MNRR line, and Yes, it would be very nice if they put in some photo portals (before some ya-hoo railfan with a pair of clippers and a bolt-on metal frame does it, hint, hint, if you're going to do it, wear a hi-viz vest and a hardhat, you can do ANYTHING if you're wearing a hi-viz vest and a hardhat particularly if you have a clipboard with a fake work order on it), and YES, if the goal was to prevent purposeful dropping of objects it needs to go completely over the top of the walkway.
Sounds like a thinly veiled endorsement for vandalism...
Vandals destroy things. I'm suggesting the creation of something.

JBlaisdell

Post by JBlaisdell » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Then can I come by and spraypaint my tag on your house?

Return to “Rail Trails”