Railroad Forums 

• Walkway Over the Hudson - Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#562075  by RichM

From what I've read, it was originally double tracked, then gaunletted sometime after 1910 because of the increasing weight of locomotives and rolling stock.
 #562228  by Mark_K

In the photo below, taken, not from Russ's commanding vantage point in the parking lot, but from the present far platform (directly above the first or second pier from the Highland side), the "rigging" can be seen. It is, I believe, the last remnant of Central Hudson's power line.

Per Mr. Schaeffer the director of Walkway (and the photographer of note) high winds are not expected to be an issue during months when the walkway will be in operation.
 #562277  by Lehighton_Man

Forgive me for being a bother, but why was the bridge removed from service in the first place? looks like its still good to run frieghts over.
Thanks.
Sean
 #562347  by RussNelson

Mark_K wrote:In the photo below, taken, not from Russ's commanding vantage point in the parking lot,
And WHO has the panorama shot and WHO has the little weenie shot which captures hardly any of the view, hmmmm? Here's the view from the commanding vantage point just west of the end of the bridge:
 #562393  by Mark_K

This is a view down the ladder Henry6 referenced in an earlier post.

Apologies for any blurriness in the photo. A St. Lawrence County man was desperately holding onto one of the railings near the Highland anchorage, shaking in terror.
 #562634  by Bernard Rudberg

A retired engineer who used to drive diesels across the bridge told me that he used to work with a fireman who was afraid of heights. Every time they crossed the bridge he would hide under the console until they were on the other side. A lot of good hiding would do if something happened.

There is also the older story about the New Haven L1 2-10-2 that had a tire come off in the middle of the bridge. The story goes that the shop crew brought the equipment out and fixed it on the bridge.

Bernie Rudberg
 #562703  by cnefan

Prior to Penn Central and the New Haven RR, this bridge was operated by the Central New England Railway up until mid-1927. A very good friend of mine (who passed away in 1981) was a retired Conductor for the CNE and he told me of crossing the bridge on a freight one time on a real windy day in which one or more wooden boxcars had their roofs torn off.

Leroy Beaujon
Roseville, CA
 #562745  by henry6

cnefan wrote:Prior to Penn Central and the New Haven RR, this bridge was operated by the Central New England Railway up until mid-1927. A very good friend of mine (who passed away in 1981) was a retired Conductor for the CNE and he told me of crossing the bridge on a freight one time on a real windy day in which one or more wooden boxcars had their roofs torn off.

Leroy Beaujon
Roseville, CA
These are the kinds of storie I want to hear! MORE! MORE! MORE!