Railroad Forums 

• High Line - New York City

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#1066445  by hotbike

Thanks for bringing this subject up again. I myself walked the length of the High Line in or around 1986, and I joined Friends of the High Line very early on. I am glad to see this project come to fruition.

Yesterday, CSX gave the remaining portion of the High Line to New York City. This is the loop of track which goes around the East Side Yard, IIRC. I hope this is the end to that nonsense about building a sports arena above the East Side Yard.
 #1067444  by Jeff Smith

Some nic graphics with this link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... f=new-york
Construction is expected to begin later this year. In March, initial designs for the final section were unveiled and presented at a community meeting.

Officials say construction is estimated to cost $90 million with a full public opening slated for spring of 2014.
From HuffPo:
Attachments:
Highline2
Highline2
slide_213906_776660_large.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 7013 times
Highline4
Highline4
slide_213906_776667_large.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 7013 times
 #1067451  by Jeff Smith

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/nyreg ... .html?_r=1
The new portion borders the 26-acre Hudson Yards mixed-use neighborhood that is now being developed by Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group. When completed, that project will include more than 12 million square feet of new office, residential, retail and cultural space. Last fall, the city announced that Coach Inc. would buy more than 600,000 square feet in the first tower on the Hudson Yards site, at 30th Street and 10th Avenue, the current terminus of the High Line park.

The High Line is owned by the city but maintained and operated by Friends of the High Line, the nonprofit group that had rallied to save it from demolition after it fell into disuse as a freight rail line.
 #1067650  by hotbike

People think railfans are strange... But railfans are really leaders and visionaries , the High Line proves it. Who wants to go hiking along an abandoned railroad track? 15 years ago it would've been nobody, but now, with the High Line, Everybody wants to walk along this ex New York Central track. Okay, it has a concrete walkway, so one doesn't need to wear hiking boots, and the vegetation has been tamed- although preserved, that's part of the mystique. Hopefully, the public will become aware of the many other miles of abandoned railroad right-of-way in our country, and join the movement to preserve it as contiguous , linear trails.