Railroad Forums 

• Kosciuszko Bridge Demolition

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1436225  by DogBert

The old bridge is set to be taken down this summer (main span lowered to a barge, approaches blown up). Since the approach crosses over the lower montauk, anyone know if NYA/LIRR will be doing anything to protect the tracks?

I'm assuming clearing the track and nearby streets afterwards will be their first priority, so I doubt service to bliss & wheelspur will be out long enough to affect service.
Last edited by DogBert on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1445446  by AlKaLI

The bridge demolition delayed a few times is now scheduled for this Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 8:00 AM
I have not visited the site but according to Queens story, soil berms have been built to catch the falling approach spans.

http://qns.com/story/2017/09/27/old-kos ... day-oct-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be interesting if this occurs what happens to the NY&A.
 #1445484  by DogBert

I'm guessing they're planning on clearing the tracks within a day or two. I didn't see any extra cars at Bliss for the daily WM grind.

The 'berms' are just dirt piles under the old bridge.

I hope they build the new one sturdy enough to handle the mini-quake when all that iron drops.
 #1445842  by ccutler

Demolition well done! It would be nice to see some of that 22 million tons of scrap metal hauled away by rail...SMS is right nearby...but they will probably use barges.
 #1445969  by DogBert

Apparently it is all going to SMS via truck, then to NJ on barge. I guess no one held their feet to the fire on the dramatic increase in truck traffic on review ave.