Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2012

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1113659  by bk77

I've been told Kuiken Bros. by Eisenhower Pkwy on the Whippany main has gotten some deliveries by rail recently, which is where the empty bulk head at S. Jefferson Rd. was coming from. This has only been occasional as most Kuiken loads go to their lumber yard on the Chester branch...
 #1113722  by blockline4180

bk77 wrote:I've been told Kuiken Bros. by Eisenhower Pkwy on the Whippany main has gotten some deliveries by rail recently, which is where the empty bulk head at S. Jefferson Rd. was coming from. This has only been occasional as most Kuiken loads go to their lumber yard on the Chester branch...

Good to hear!! Hope they continue!
 #1114881  by Conrail Blue

I noticed that there are hopper cars parked on the SIRR deadline in Roselle by south ave. When were these moved there and are more going to be stored there? Reason I ask is because I just moved my business there. My building is right next to the tracks and I would like to get a photo if the M&E train
 #1115128  by Sirsonic

The M&E should not be operating on the SIRY. Their agreement to operate it was not renewed.
 #1123677  by NJT4115

This is just a thought and only a thought.
When the NJT F40s get retired, does anyone think that the M&E will get at least one? Maybe not for running but for display, but it'd be cool to pull some Comet 1s again in Morristown & Erie colors :)
 #1123909  by Sid Farkus

NJT4115 wrote:This is just a thought and only a thought.
When the NJT F40s get retired, does anyone think that the M&E will get at least one? Maybe not for running but for display, but it'd be cool to pull some Comet 1s again in Morristown & Erie colors :)
I cannot imagine that. They had two already and after just one year of usage were looking for ways to get rid of them. After Metro North wouldn't take them off their hands, they ended up being sold and shipped to Canada. ME's F40s were costly to maintain, and not practical for that railroad (especially since they had several serviceable other HEP locomotives for their needs). I don't see Whippany getting one, and maybe even the URHS acquiring one could be a stretch.
 #1124507  by NJT4115

Another thought, why does the M&E own so many locomotives but only use three of them down in New Jersey. The 22 is still in running condition along with some of the Canadian locomotives (I know the 22 needs a new engine but it is still in "mint" condition".)
 #1130211  by therudycometh

NJT4115 wrote:Another thought, why does the M&E own so many locomotives but only use three of them down in New Jersey. The 22 is still in running condition along with some of the Canadian locomotives (I know the 22 needs a new engine but it is still in "mint" condition".)
Lol, what is your idea of "mint?" See the 2013 Trainspotting thread for my analysis of #22's condition.
 #1130558  by NJT4115

therudycometh wrote:
NJT4115 wrote:Another thought, why does the M&E own so many locomotives but only use three of them down in New Jersey. The 22 is still in running condition along with some of the Canadian locomotives (I know the 22 needs a new engine but it is still in "mint" condition".)
Lol, what is your idea of "mint?" See the 2013 Trainspotting thread for my analysis of #22's condition.
From a distance and compared to the rest of the "dead" locomotives, but after seeing the pictures now I see your point. Also, not to be rude, I posted this almost two weeks ago.
 #1130568  by therudycometh

NJT4115 wrote:
therudycometh wrote:
From a distance and compared to the rest of the "dead" locomotives, but after seeing the pictures now I see your point. Also, not to be rude, I posted this almost two weeks ago.
I also wasn't trying to be rude, merely redirecting the rest of my response so that it wouldn't continue in two places. I only noticed that you'd posted this a couple weeks ago after I posted my response here last night directing everyone to the 2013 thread.
 #1143304  by riffian

The 18 and four tank cars eastbound through Summit station at 10:00AM. Cars were not placarded and appeared to be vegetable oil of some kind. The 18 observed back at Morristown at about 1:00pm with a loaded center beam of packaged lumber and one tank.