Railroad Forums 

• Gennsee Reserve Telephone Pole Co. in Rochester have a sidin

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#954937  by Matt Langworthy

As I recall, the telephone poles were being unloaded from the western end of the Ontario Central back when the LA&L owned it. After the sale, the unloading operation apparently moved to the LA&L. I'm not sure of the exact location, though.
 #961649  by boblenon

For a time anyways, after the sale of the ONCT, poles were unloaded in Avon on the LAL. Not sure if thats still the case; likely it got moved to Brook Ave.

As for Genesee Reserve in Henrietta, I do believe the get lumber by rail - or at least in the past few years did.
 #1252199  by RailKevin

While delivering some truck freight to Genesee Reserve today, I saw a center beam flatcar beside the building. I asked the forklift guy how often they get rail shipments, and he said once every few months.

Does anyone know if CSX or LAL switches that siding?
 #1252223  by scottychaos

RailKevin wrote:While delivering some truck freight to Genesee Reserve today, I saw a center beam flatcar beside the building. I asked the forklift guy how often they get rail shipments, and he said once every few months.

Does anyone know if CSX or LAL switches that siding?
Most likely LAL..it's directly off of their track..CSX doesn't have direct access to it.

Scot
 #1252283  by RailKevin

scottychaos wrote:Most likely LAL..it's directly off of their track..CSX doesn't have direct access to it.
Ah, but does LAL actually own that running track beside the CSX West Shore? I wonder if LAL has trackage rights over it to Genesee Junction.

Also, who owns Genesee Junction?
 #1252478  by ctclark1

RailKevin wrote:
scottychaos wrote:Most likely LAL..it's directly off of their track..CSX doesn't have direct access to it.
Ah, but does LAL actually own that running track beside the CSX West Shore? I wonder if LAL has trackage rights over it to Genesee Junction.

Also, who owns Genesee Junction?
Yes, the two tracks there are separate ownership - LA&L owns the south track, coming up through Henrietta, through the old Mortimer Jct where the track becomes parallel to the CSX's West Shore, and all the way to Genesee Jct. I'm not entirely sure who "owns" the bridge across the river, though I'd presume it's either a true share agreement (splitting costs), or CSX maintains the structure with LAL just maintaining its own trackage (again, the southern track of the two)

CSX owns the yard proper, with LA&L and RSR having trackage rights. RSR's rights actually run all the way across it and onto the West Shore to be able to access the old PRR spur to the north, though TBH I'm not sure if they even still have a customer on it. Another interesting note was because of Conrail's ownership of the yard at the time, they managed to keep a legal "paper" barrier in place that prevented LAL from interchanging directly with RSR. LAL successfully lobbied to have that removed when CSX took over.
 #1252592  by blabey

The Genesee River bridge in Henrietta is jointly owned by CSX and LAL. The Genesee Junction yard itself is owned by CSX - but R&S and LAL have the right to operate through it for the purposes of interchange. You are correct that the Surface Transportation Board struck down a previous contractual barrier that prevented this interchange during the Conrail era.

Genesee Reserve Supply is an LAL customer served by a private siding.
 #1256994  by BR&P

While the pole traffic on ONCT very closely dovetails the LA&L's ownership, the changes were not because of the ownership directly. The traffic came to ONCT right around the time LA&L bought ONCT. The customer initially called LA&L and was referred by them to the ONCT. Their office and pole yard at the time were only about a mile away from the end of ONCT via the old LV, and perhaps 3 miles by highway. LA&L is an honest outfit and I believe that even if they had not owned ONCT they would have suggested the customer might be best served by them rather than LA&L for a shorter truck transload distance.

As an historic footnote, when ONCT got the lead from LA&L, a call was made to the pole receiver and two of their reps were shown around several prospective transload sites on ONCT early that afternoon. The customer liked the proximity of the Rt 251 location but vegetation was a problem. Since ONCT had a roster of part-time employees who did whatever type of work was needed, that same afternoon and evening a work party was held and the chain saws were given a good workout. Early the next morning the customer was invited to inspect the site again, and the prompt response sealed the deal and traffic was soon moving.

Shortly after the sale of ONCT to FGLK, the pole receiver had some changes. Not positive but I THINK one of the principals retired or sold out but retained the use of the property they were based out of. At any rate the change in location was not due to the ONCT sale. A location near Scottsville was found, the poles moved on LA&L for a while, then other arrangements were made to move to R&S - I think there was NIMBY opposition to the poles being unloaded right in Avon.

And since someone may ask....yes, on a couple occasions consideration was given to extending the ONCT out along the former LV, making a connection to the former Auburn Road right of way, and directly into the pole company's property. Physically it could have been done, but between property ownership issues and overall cost it was not deemed practical. The fact the company eventually left that location indicates it's just as well the extension was not built.
 #1257015  by scottychaos

ctclark1 wrote:
CSX owns the yard proper, with LA&L and RSR having trackage rights. RSR's rights actually run all the way across it and onto the West Shore to be able to access the old PRR spur to the north, though TBH I'm not sure if they even still have a customer on it.
Yes, there is still a customer on the PRR spur.."Metalico Rochester Inc", they receive gondolas for outgoing scrap metal.
in the winter you can see the gondolas from Paul road..

Scot