Railroad Forums 

• 'Begin DCS'/ 2-26-10 photos

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#776946  by alsorailfan

Nice meeting you Mike! As Mike Stellpflug posted some nice pictures, forgive my redundancy with a few photos in this link!
Question: at Mortimer Junction, there's a sign that says 'Begin DCS'. What does that mean?
Road crew stopped at Howlett switched and left with 16 cars. Stopped at Mort and picked up 2 cars behind the plaza.
Have to rethink about shooting zoom during snowy days-gives a black and white TV like snowy pictures :P
Also a big difference of snow amount on ground from Livingston county to south, mid, and northern Monroe county.
chris

http://picasaweb.google.com/alsorailfan/LAL022610#
 #777063  by charlie6017

Here is some info on "DCS"............

http://modernrailroading.com/DigitalLib ... system.htm
A train must not occupy DCS territory outside yard limits without Form D line 2 authority. All Operators involved must receive a copy of the Form D. Form D line 2 may be issued into or through yard limits in lieu of verbal permission. All other provisions of Rule 93, “Movement within Yard Limits,” apply.
 #777081  by alsorailfan

Thanks! When I started reading it, I was getting really confused to the variations until I hit the 403 rule and then it all made sense. Just couldn't figure out how if they were at GJ, they would physically recieve the Form D unless the Dispatcher drove up there.
chris
 #777516  by alsorailfan

No customer(s) as far as I know. Just that colorful covered hopper and the boxcar being picked up. Where it originated and why was it left there on the M&F branch is something I can't answer.
chris
 #777688  by Luther Brefo

Hi guy,

No customers exist behind the plaza. Once upon a time many moons ago, there was Frontier Telephone and Golden State Foods (McDonalds distributor) but they are both no longer rail served. Much of the siding for GSF is still in but the switch is out. Frontier has been torn out almost entirely. Down the line, there is M&F Lumber and High Point Mills (specializes in some sort of turf.)

They usually stop at/before Mort either for lunch, to call CSX to get clearance into the yard if they have not already called ahead of time, or both.
ckwwestshore wrote:What customer is there behind the plaza? I know of M&F lumber, but that's it. Also, they always stop when they get to Mort. Why?

Charlie
 #778161  by alsorailfan

The last three times I've ben at GJ, I've noticed the LAL&L train would get there and shortly afterwards the CSX (B791?) would arrive. But then I'm talking about a snap shot of just once a month in the last three months. And not what happens three or more times a week.......
Still courious about the two cars--I'm ASSUMING that the covered hopper is from the High Point Mill and the box car from ?? or M&F ???? But then why was it left there?
chris
 #778783  by ckwwestshore

Thanks! I thought the only one down there was M&F, so I ended up waiting for them at Mortimer to come back from M&F one day and after an hour there was no sign of them. Now I know why!
 #786314  by FarmallBob

ckwwestshore wrote:Also, they always stop when they get to Mort. Why?
Charlie - I caught this move stopped short of the Jefferson Rd crossing around noon on a bitter morning last December. Footprints in the snow suggest the engine crew had wandered into the nearby Pickle Nick's for a sandwich.

...FB
IMG_0090 LAL 420.JPG