Railroad Forums 

• Military signals, signs and the MRS-1

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#892674  by Storknest

Is there any resource with manuals about these three items?
I have some, so far from what I collected it looks like the military only used three single light signals, Red for Stop, Yellow for Proceed and Green for Clear (I do not mean what a railroad like CSX, BNSF or whoever would use when hauling a military train, I mean the ones the military would use when their crew drove their locomotives), this was from an Army manual.
I have only seen one sign acknowledged in a Navy manual, the Whistle Post.
And there is almost nothing I can find on the MRS-1 of either design. I have found manuals for some Army diesels (Davenport 44 ton, Plymouth 10 ton, RS-4-TC and the GE 80 ton) but still nothing on both models of this elusive diesel.
Thanks.
 #894088  by Deval

Signs and signals are specific to each military base, and would be specified in the military base's timetable. The only base I know that every published a timetable with any regularity was Fort Eustis, Virginia. The only bases I know that ever had signals were Fort Eustis, VA and Fort Leonard Wood, MO.

As far as the MRS-1 goes, the Army did have a complete series of tech manuals for both units. I have a complete set for the Alco engine, but have not been able to find one for the EMD. In addition to the military manuals, Alco and EMD also printed a general operators manual for each engine.
 #894411  by RailVet

I recall seeing a signal at NWS Concord, over a decade ago as the base was closing. Even then it was out of service. The northern (waterside) part of the base was turned over to the Army to become Military Ocean Terminal Concord and it exists in caretaker status, and I'm sure the signal system, whatever remains, is not used.
 #1129694  by PNRRhack

NWS Earle had a full signal system on it's main at one time. The signs of it's presence are still there if anyone cares to look.