Railroad Forums 

• New Biomass powerplant at Griffis

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#770347  by rockmonl

Read this on a local news site. http://www.wktv.com/news/local/84121272.html
PSC greenlights renewable power plant at Griffiss Business and Technology Park in Rome

Story Created: Feb 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM EST
Story Updated: Feb 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM EST

ROME, N.Y. (WKTV) - The New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) has approved up to $35 million in financing to build a 9.6 MW renewable-fueled electric and steam generation facility at Griffiss Business and Technology Park in Rome. The PSC said that the purpose of the facility is to provide lower priced electric and steam service to tenants in the industrial park.

"Our decision today to approve the financing to build this state-of-the-art renewable energy power plant will be a win-win for the Griffiss Park and the Mohawk Valley economy," said Commission Chairman Garry Brown. "Once the plant is operational, the operators will be able to offer electricity and steam service at the lowest possible cost, which will serve as a substantial incentive to attract and retain customers within the Park and fulfill its economic development functions. Lower energy prices - especially if they come from renewable energy sources - are good for all concerned."
[make sure you provide a brief quote of the news story you are linking to - omv]

Now isnt there a lumber mill of some sort on the MA&N line? Maybe they will supply this new power plant?? Anyone??
 #772926  by brockwaythemusician

I believe I read that the plant would be fueled by wood chips. As far as I know there is not a woodchip facility on the MHWA. I think at one point there was a wood facility that transported telephone poles out of Boonville. There are however, what looks like a large set of woodchip cars sitting in the NYSW yard in Utica but I don't know of any woodchip plants on the NYSW either. Most likely they will be brought in by CSX.
 #775917  by rockmonl

Actually, went up to Boonville today and saw a log pole car in a lumber mill up there. They were also making wood chips right next to the siding. Got me wondering.
 #776113  by med-train

rockmonl wrote:Actually, went up to Boonville today and saw a log pole car in a lumber mill up there. They were also making wood chips right next to the siding. Got me wondering.
That sure could be the source.