Railroad Forums 

• New Industry going up in Rome NY (MA&N)

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#341188  by Alcoman

The MA&N will soon have a new customer in Rome located in the Griffis Industrial Park. A company is constructing a huge building Northeast of where the Adirondack Scenic has their shop. This company will be manufacturing and bottling cooking oils there. The oil which will come in by train is expected to produce around 200 cars inbound/outbound per month at its peak.
The plant has a 5 track stub end yard along with a run-around. The MA&N will bring in these trains and the yard will be switched using a GE 80 ton diesel which is a former USA unit already located nearby.
This will be a great shot in the arm for both the railroad and the Industrial park.

#363917  by Alcoman

I have not been up there to check it out further. I am planning a trip out there when the sun returns. As I recall the track needs ballast and the building was far from being done.

#370845  by Spartan Phalanx

Was the former SAC base at Griffiss AFB served by rail regularly when the post was open? For example, did the B-52's of the 416th Bomb Wing receive their aviation fuel and conventional bomb loadings via rail? Thanks.

#370855  by lvrr325

I can tell you the base had a tank car which was given to a fire department and finally moved to become a water tower of some sort just a couple of years ago.

#371048  by traingeek8223

That explains the tank car frame sitting in the yard. It was my understanding that in the later years the primary thing brought in by rail was coal for the power plant. Untill this new business opens, all that is brought in and out is the Adirondack Scenic's equipment.

#390984  by steamboy

Spartan Phalanx wrote:Was the former SAC base at Griffiss AFB served by rail regularly when the post was open? For example, did the B-52's of the 416th Bomb Wing receive their aviation fuel and conventional bomb loadings via rail? Thanks.
When I was stationed at Griffiss from 1982-1989, the base coal-burning heating plant was fed by coal hoppers brought onto the base. As far as I can recollect, the av fuel was piped in from big holding tanks off base. As far as bombs go, I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you! (just kidding - I seriously doubt the bombs came on rail).

The base RR mechanical shop was diagonally across from my building, which has since been torn down. I could see the action from the 3rd floor. It was pretty cool stuff back then.

Here's a pic from the the base newspaper when one of the switchers was delivered:

#392346  by jnugent56

steamboy wrote:Here's a pic from the the base newspaper when one of the switchers was delivered
Just a few questions:

-What is the date on that article?
-Can you make out the number on the locomotive in the photo?
-Do you have page 12? :-D

Thanks!

#395602  by steamboy

Here ya go:

What is the date on that article?: Nov 21, 1986
Engine #: 1668
Origin: Georgia
Page 12:

#430156  by af-sp-griff

Taken April 28th, 2007

Taken August 2nd, 2007

#439737  by ffmike9

This operation is now up and running.They have been delivering cars on mondays and thrusdays
We've been delivering them on Fridays also.

#477489  by Brian 57

There goes one now.

#477972  by bwparker1

Will this use rail service up there as well?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/app ... 7712080329

Local ethanol plant a no-go

Matthew Daneman
Staff writer

(December 8, 2007) — A first-of-its-kind ethanol plant won't be constructed in the town of Greece after all.

A year ago, then-Gov. George Pataki announced that the state would spend $14.8 million toward construction of the plant in Greece, perhaps positioning the Rochester region as a leader in alternative energy.

But the plant instead will be 130 miles east of Rochester, at the former Griffiss Air Force Base outside Rome, Oneida County. A ceremonial start of work on the Mascoma Corp. plant is set for Monday.

Mascoma originally chose the Rochester area to be close to Genencor International Inc., an industrial enzyme company with operations in Rochester and Brighton. But Mascoma didn't find a suitable building locally with the industrial infrastructure it needed — something it did find at Griffiss, said project manager Kevin Stone......

#478783  by Challenger3985

Where was that supposed to be built in Greece?