Railroad Forums 

• Trolley's of the Lowell National Historical Park, Lowell, MA

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#170221  by aline1969

966 is there to support the operations for the park service runs only one car most of the time and 966 helps the service. I have not heard any operators cry from the seashore side, as a trustee I have not heard any thing bad this year.

#414632  by sixflagscoasters

Who doesn't like who?

Does the Lowell Museum not like the Seashore Museum, or the other way around?

Is it because the Lowell Museum uses the Real (not-replica) Trolley to much?

Whats the problem with the two museums? I don't understand what you people are talking about?

Also what is the difference in the operations, why don't you like the Lowell Line Stevie?

Thanks for your time and help.
Bill

#448143  by citystation1848

Back when Lowell ops were being planned, there were some sour notes from members, I being one of them. While I've grown a liking of the operation, it's a different museum and has developed in its own way.

I'm often asked why I haven't qualified at Lowell, where it's only 20 minutes from Nashua, compared to Kennebunkport's 2 hours distance. The issue is if I start helping in Lowell, that's time I wouldn't be in Maine. One less person for an already stretched operations department. I'm not about to do that to Seashore, but it was hard enough to cut back this summer cause that 2 hour drive weekly catches up to the wallet.

Differences in operations that Stevie probably sees is Kennebunkport's an old interurban line, compared to Lowell's city line. Two completely different operating environments. Also since they are two different museums, two different ways of business. The only similarity is that they use streetcars, need Seashore qualification, and are run by the same society.

Matt

#540544  by aline1969

On a recent visit the lowell museum has college kids working there and they don't know much about trolley history.
 #543344  by Red Wing

b&m 1566 wrote:Well the trolleys started off on a good note this year (unlike last year). I haven't been in the area in a while to talk with any of the trolley drivers. Does anyone have any information on the expansion of the trolleys? Last I heard was they had the funding for it, but were working out the environmental permits and so forth.
Here is an article about that in the Lowell Sun:

http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_9521409
 #898581  by BandM4266

Well that time of the year has come around again for the Trolleys in Lowell! From what I hear they will come back online for the first run on Monday Feb 28th, although it looks like the first run will be in June with all this snow. 4131 under went some minor surgery during the last few months of the year to swap out a bad truck with a good one from 1602. The motor had burned out on Columbus day last year.
I for one cant wait until Memorial day to come around as I am one of the Operators onboard 966.
 #1009733  by Red Wing

Lowell just got money to help with expanding the trolleys to UMass and Gallagher Terminal:

LOWELL -- A year-round trolley system carrying passengers from the Gallagher Intermodal Terminal to downtown Lowell and beyond moved one stop closer to becoming a reality yesterday as the city and Lowell National Historical Park were awarded more than $3 million in federal grants.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_19765339?IA ... z1kCQf1FYv
 #1057073  by BandM4266

Well I had worked aboard NOPSI 966 in Lowell yesterday and returned today to go on an adventure over to the Hamilton Canal district to check out the new Canal St bridge that just opened as something I noticed peaked my interest while operating.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20120 ... 492723.jpg
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20120 ... 352750.jpg