Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1373873  by NH2060

From the National Post:
Via Rail Canada Inc. is looking for funding in the March 22 federal budget for a new fleet of cars costing upwards of $1.3 billion that would go with a dedicated Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal passenger rail corridor that could be operational in fall 2019 with the government’s blessing.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... l-corridor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1373933  by electricron

Interesting news article, but the short quote above didn't mention everything.
Simplifying, a dedicated corridor would require $2 Billion, electrifying it would cost an additional $850 Million, and the new electric powered trains would cost another $1.3 Billion, otherwise the new diesel powered trains would only cost around $1 Billion. New corridor trains will be required soon anyways, whether or not they build a new dedicated corridor. The proposed source of funding is from government pension funds. Faster, electric powered trains in a dedicated corridor are more likely to pay back dividends to the pension funds.

The news article didn't state what will eventually happen or which alternate the new government is leaning towards We'll have to wait to find out. ;)
 #1374025  by Backshophoss

The "kicker" is the current HEP 2 fleet and the remaining active LRC cars is starting to go downhill
due to constant use,and the CRONIC shortage of maintaince funding.
Most overhauls are outsourced,VIA never was able to get their own backshop like Amtrak has at Beech Grove
 #1374131  by marquisofmississauga

Despite my best efforts to pick an LRC train on our Toronto-Montreal-Toronto trip two weeks ago, on the return the three of us were disappointed to see that the Business Class car had a HEP-2 VIA 1 car substituted. These things happen, of course, but this antique was ready for scrap or at least a major refurbishment. Upon entering the car we noticed that one of the seats in the first row was missing. Only bolts and the metal frame were left. Our seats were re-assigned because the spacious "2+1" LRC seat numbers don't match with the old "2+2" arrangement. The lead attendant arranged for us to have the four-seater with table near the end of the car, which was cosy. The riding quality was poor, to say the least, with violent lateral shaking and bouncing every time we went over switch points.

A week later we had (knowingly) booked seats in one of these old cars on a different route and the riding quality was much better. Admittedly the Guelph Sub. of the Toronto-Stratford-London line has a much lower speed limit than the Kingston Sub.
 #1374825  by R36 Combine Coach

Backshophoss wrote:The "kicker" is the current HEP 2 fleet and the remaining active LRC cars is starting to go downhill due to constant use,and the CHRONIC shortage of maintaince funding.
I could see VIA picking up the Comarrows from Caltrans when the latter agency has new equipment in place. The Comet I-B rebuilds were fully overhauled with many years added to their lives and are up to current Amtrak and AAR/FRA standards and could be a bargain. These could used as interim equipment, allowing the worst of the older HEP cars for retirement in the near future.
 #1374831  by Backshophoss

The Comarrows are CaDOT owned,will become the "swing" set for spot service and low passenger count runs
after the Surfliner II's go online,only the Superliners that were "borrowed" will be returned as will the Horizen Fleet
Food service cars
If anything figure on VIA "cherry-picking" some of the retired comet based coaches from NJT and MN,
getting rehabbed at BBD as a stop gap fix.
 #1374841  by electricron

Backshophoss wrote:The Comarrows are CaDOT owned,will become the "swing" set for spot service and low passenger count runs
after the Surfliner II's go online,only the Superliners that were "borrowed" will be returned as will the Horizen Fleet
Food service cars
If anything figure on VIA "cherry-picking" some of the retired comet based coaches from NJT and MN,
getting rehabbed at BBD as a stop gap fix.
If they are looking at using used Amtrak rolling stock, wouldn't the available HiLevels (ex-ATSF) refurbished entirely make a better choice? It seems Budd built rail cars last forever if given proper care.
 #1374844  by Backshophoss

Superliners were used on the International(Chicago-Toronto),believe there was a wreck with the Superliners in Canada
the Transport ministry BANNED Superliners as not safe for canadian rails,so the "El-Cap" cars are a NO WAY in Canada
for the same reasons.
The only other "stop-gap" fix could be a run of the newer version of the BBD "sausage" cars used on GOT/Metrolinx services
set up for longer distance type corridor service.
 #1374847  by bdawe

In 2009 Superliners were subbed in for the Cascades Talgos to Vancouver, so I wonder if that ruling is still in effect.

That being said, I highly doubt that VIA is going to purchase any low-platform equipment that can't go to Montreal Gare Centrale. That goes for both Superliner and BBD Bilevel equipment. Bombardier Bilevels in AMT service went to Gare Lucien l'Allier
 #1374975  by Backshophoss

The Chicago-Toronto International was a joint Amtrak/Via operation like the Maple Leaf is now,
the train was handed off to Via at the border from Amtrak.
The Cascades are under Amtrak control from the border to Vancouver,like the
Adirondack is from the border to Montreal.
It's possible that an exception was allowed due to the Taglo sets were under repair for a defect at that time.
 #1374988  by Ken V

Backshophoss wrote:Superliners were used on the International(Chicago-Toronto),believe there was a wreck with the Superliners in Canada
the Transport ministry BANNED Superliners as not safe for canadian rails...
This isn't completely accurate. The Superliners were temporarily suspended pending an investigation and then reinstated. The final runs of the International used Superliner equipment.
CIMG0023_1.JPG
 #1376569  by bdawe

http://www.budget.gc.ca/2016/docs/plan/ ... c446106680

From the Budget Speech

$7.7 million to VIA Rail "to support technical studies and other pre-procurement activities related to the renewal of VIA Rail’s fleet, for safety upgrades at grade crossings on tracks owned by VIA Rail, and for investments in improved security at VIA Rail stations."

"$3.3 million over three years to Transport Canada to support an in depth assessment of VIA Rail’s high-frequency rail proposal."

"$34 million, on a cash basis, to VIA Rail for improvements at stations and maintenance centres, including upgrades to mechanical and electrical systems and roof replacements."

So they're kicking the can down the road, but the can is at least continuing to be kicked
 #1376702  by MikeCDN

Folks I know I am preaching to a few " members of the choir " when I post this,

It's time that we, as Canadians, got our heads-out-of the sand, and started viewing VIA ( among other services ) as a public service. Not a for profit service. View it as infrastructure. This means, investing in it means quick returns with long term benefits. AKA Win-Win.

I was once a rail fan until I became a railroader. I see enough trains now that I avoid trying to see them. Seriously.

Now that I'm a railroader I see the potential and the residual benefits to the nation of a few dollars here-and-there spent on rail infrastructure in this country. Now I am boarder-line rail advocate.

If we adopted a couple ideas from the European or British mentality we could have something amazing.

And with this, if we can keep our freights on-time within minutes - why does the Canadian have to be delayed by 18 hours???

My thoughts,

M
 #1378282  by dowlingm

But investing in what? Corridor? Transcontinental? Trains into the wild? Commuter?

VIA has to cover all of the above to some extent. There is also the issue of the tanking Canadian dollar, which makes equipment or parts purchases in US$ or other overseas currencies expensive at present, and the desire to shovel pork at Bombardier (or anyone willing to do stuff in Quebec). The simplest and likely best for the customer option - Siemens Charger-Viaggio sets for the fast services, cascade the LRC rebuilds down and withdraw the HEPs - is almost certainly the one they won't get. Hell, VIA don't even seem to have the money to pull working RDCs like 6202 out of the hands of Moncton scrappers.