Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#763029  by joelietz

Hi, I'm staying with some friends that live very close to the E&N train that runs in Victoria BC. I decided to take the train for a short trip up to Nanaimo last summer and I have to say the condition of the old Via cars was terrible. They must have dated from the 1960's and they sure needed some work. I wonder if Via has any plans to replace those cars? Does anyone know?
Last edited by Ken V on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: removed signature because it's an ad
 #763396  by electricron

joelietz wrote:Hi, I'm staying with some friends that live very close to the E&N train that runs in Victoria BC. I decided to take the train for a short trip up to Nanaimo last summer and I have to say the condition of the old Via cars was terrible. They must have dated from the 1960's and they sure needed some work. I wonder if Via has any plans to replace those cars? Does anyone know?
I read somewhere, possibly in this forum, that VIA had contracted to have a few RDCs completely refurbished. After these RDCs have been refurbished, maybe they will be sent to replace those currently in service.

The last of 398 Budd RDCs was built in 1962. I'm pretty certain these RDCs have been refurbished at some time hence.
 #763657  by ENR3870

joelietz wrote:Hi, I'm staying with some friends that live very close to the E&N train that runs in Victoria BC. I decided to take the train for a short trip up to Nanaimo last summer and I have to say the condition of the old Via cars was terrible. They must have dated from the 1960's and they sure needed some work. I wonder if Via has any plans to replace those cars? Does anyone know?
The 3 RDC's on the E&N were built from 1956-1958. They've been overhauled numerous times, the most recent being: 6133 overhauled in 1989, 6135 overhauled in 2003 and 6148 overhauled in 2002.
 #763682  by electricron

VIA 6133 and 6135 are RDC-1 models, 6148 was a RDC-2 model which has been modified - see note below.

Note: 6148 started as CP RDC2 9114, in 1975 CP converted the baggage compartment into more seating referring to these rebuilds as RDC-5's. Not to be confused with CN's RDC-5's which were actually the cabless RDC-9's. 6148 was refurbished by CN in 1982, and again by Industrial Rail Services for VIA in 2002. 6148 is also equipped with a snack bar.
 #765527  by Montrealrail

I think it's the only one set of RDC still in service..

I learned about the cabless RDC-9,the only one left in Canada,was on Walkley yard last year,I went to work on it,to put some plywood on the windows to prevent vandalism..because it's owned by a particular ..

Here a video I did this day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8umI0JkkKR8

and one I get yesterday

I fanatic of RDC'S and I get several RDC's in HO models.

I went twice on this train,just to do the ride...
 #765533  by ENR3870

Montrealrail wrote:I think it's the only one set of RDC still in service..
VIA also uses 3 RDC's on the Sudbury-White River train. 2 RDC-2's and one RDC4.
 #765632  by stuart_iowa

here are some pics of the RDC units that were in storage in Ottawa, taken during the Ottawa Central Open House May 2008. One unit might have been scrapped, and other unit might be in use on a tourist railroad or being restored for use...some one here might know which unit is gone where.
rdc2.jpg
rdc2.jpg (135.05 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
9251.jpg
9251.jpg (167.18 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
6002.jpg
6002.jpg (158.82 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
 #767263  by jp1822

Would RDC service (likely would need 4 units though - 1 RDC full coach and 1 coach/baggage for each of the trains once they split etc.) work for the Northern Quebec train service? With two coaches and two baggage cars running at present on these routes (before they split) they are way overpowered for two VIA diesel engines (or former GO units that VIA is using etc.). Course VIA's RDC service really got shot down in the early 1990s. Bringing back those routes will likely never be - or any additional RDC branch type service. VIA once had a descent rail system in Nova Scotia (and the Maritimes for that matter), largely by utilizing the RDC's - or Dayliners as they were often called.
 #767416  by NS VIA FAN

jp1822 wrote:........VIA once had a descent rail system in Nova Scotia (and the Maritimes for that matter), largely by utilizing the RDC's - or Dayliners as they were often called.
RDC “Dayliner” was a term used by Canadian Pacific and by their subsidiaries: on the Dominion Atlantic it was the “Fast Evangeline Dayliner Passenger Service” On the west coast: “The E&N Dayliner” (before VIA tagged it the Malahat)

I believe Pacific Great Eastern (BC Rail) also called them Dayliners

On CN they were “Railiners” (or “Autorail” en francais)

US roads also had names: New York Central “Beeliners” and Boston & Maine “Highliners”
 #771721  by Tadman

I believe B&O also Used Dayliner, for the DC-Cinci service known as the longest RDC run scheduled.
 #772444  by Noel Weaver

Tadman wrote:I believe B&O also Used Dayliner, for the DC-Cinci service known as the longest RDC run scheduled.
Off topic but the B & O did not run Washington - Cincinnati with RDC's but rather Baltimore - Pittsburgh (Philadelphia before
the cutback to Baltimore in April, 1958) and this run consisted of three cars one of which was a food service car. It ran on a
daylight trip in both directions a and required two sets of three cars each for the trip.
Noel Weaver
 #772457  by mtuandrew

Noel Weaver wrote:
Tadman wrote:I believe B&O also Used Dayliner, for the DC-Cinci service known as the longest RDC run scheduled.
Off topic but the B & O did not run Washington - Cincinnati with RDC's but rather Baltimore - Pittsburgh (Philadelphia before
the cutback to Baltimore in April, 1958) and this run consisted of three cars one of which was a food service car. It ran on a
daylight trip in both directions a and required two sets of three cars each for the trip.
Noel Weaver
Besides, I was under the impression that the Western Pacific's Zephyrette was the longest such run, at 972 miles.
 #772463  by NS VIA FAN

NS VIA FAN wrote:
jp1822 wrote:........VIA once had a descent rail system in Nova Scotia (and the Maritimes for that matter), largely by utilizing the RDC's - or Dayliners as they were often called.
RDC “Dayliner” was a term used by Canadian Pacific and by their subsidiaries: on the Dominion Atlantic it was the “Fast Evangeline Dayliner Passenger Service”......
When VIA took over the DAR’s passenger service the trains were just know as the “Evangeline”…..Named after the Acadian (and Cajun) heroine in Longfellow’s poem.

The DAR passed through the lands settled by the Acadians in Nova Scotia and they heavily promoted the park at Grand Pre now a National Historic Site.

VIA also has Park Car named “Evangeline Park”
DAR Timetable 1.JPG
DAR Timetable 2.JPG