Railroad Forums 

• Valley RR to Saybrook Point/Fort Saybrook

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1404855  by krispy

While looking for fishing places I noticed that the Valley RR extended South of the Shoreline and continued on a causeway to Saybrook Point. While I consider myself reasonably versed on the NH, this was a first for me and I was even more surprised to see the remnants of a roundhouse near what is called Fort Saybrook Park. I promptly googled what I could but wanted to hear what you gents had to say about that branch. (From the Shoreline south thereof) I'm impressed that causeway still stands as much as it had considering some of the storms that has hit that area, and wonders if it's accessible for someone on foot... wearing waders... Perhaps during the show on Oct. 22!

Thanks in advance!
 #1404865  by TomNelligan

Rail service to Saybrook Point and Fenwick was short lived. The Connecticut Valley RR opened its line to Fenwick in 1872. At the time, Fenwick was a vacation destination for summer visitors and Saybrook Point had a dock that was a source of freight traffic, mainly incoming coal. But business never really grew. The New Haven abandoned Fenwick-Saybrook Point in 1917 and Saybrook Point-Saybrook Junction (the site of the current Amtrak station) in 1922. If you can find a copy of the 1986 book Connecticut Railroads: An Illustrated History by Gregg Turner and Melancthon Jacobus, it contains small photos of the station at Fenwick, the dock at Saybrook Point, and the removal of the Fenwick station on a flatcar following abandonment.
 #1406008  by Ridgefielder

TomNelligan wrote:Rail service to Saybrook Point and Fenwick was short lived. The Connecticut Valley RR opened its line to Fenwick in 1872. At the time, Fenwick was a vacation destination for summer visitors and Saybrook Point had a dock that was a source of freight traffic, mainly incoming coal. But business never really grew. The New Haven abandoned Fenwick-Saybrook Point in 1917 and Saybrook Point-Saybrook Junction (the site of the current Amtrak station) in 1922. If you can find a copy of the 1986 book Connecticut Railroads: An Illustrated History by Gregg Turner and Melancthon Jacobus, it contains small photos of the station at Fenwick, the dock at Saybrook Point, and the removal of the Fenwick station on a flatcar following abandonment.
Where did they remove the station to? Anybody know?
 #1407004  by shadyjay

The Mark One "Valley Railroad" video said the Fenwick station was moved to Saybrook Point. Not sure what became of it when service to the 'point was abandoned.

For the record, I believe the OP was talking more about the line from Saybrook Jct to Saybrook Point. I, too, have wondered if there's any remnants along those causeways, and if they're accessible. If they are, they are most likely private property, or accessible via such.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2926196 ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I first saw satellite images of the causeway remnants, I tossed around a fun idea... re-laying track and running VRR trains to Saybrook Point. It would be an interesting concept, but how you would get across the Shore Line and through the station parking lot/across Rt 1 to get to the original ROW would be a challenge. Would Amtrak allow a diamond on their high speed line? Probably not!