Railroad Forums 

• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1444938  by JoeCollege

johnpbarlow wrote:
JoeCollege wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:I'm somewhat surprised they're not running a handful of cars down to Binghamton themselves, although with the engine facility gone there's no need to move power in and out anymore.
I'd think some customers in Utica would have demanded as much, maybe seeking competitive rates from NS connection rather than go CSX to Syracuse and down. And there was speculation that maybe CSX changes would eliminate Utica interchange. Neither seems to have happened, and NYSW has shown little interest from what I can tell in capturing any traffic south of Sangerfield- the old Baillie's traffic that was transloaded at Sherburne now goes container on trucks to Jersey or DeWitt from what I heard.
Is the CSX-NYSW car exchange at Utica an interchange between the two RRs or does NYSW have haulage rights over CSX between Syracuse and Utica? Much earlier in this lengthy thread, someone said CSX-NYSW interchange was at Syracuse and prior to the 2006 embargo of the Utica line, CSX traffic for NYSW customers at Utica was routed Syracuse-Binghamton-Utica. So if Syracuse-Utica via CSX is a haulage agreement, NYSW's Utica customers could theoretically negotiate a Utica-Syracuse-Binghamton to/from NS shipping arrangement today without using the Utica branch.
My understanding is that Utica is an interchange point only.
 #1445024  by lvrr325

It is correct that part of the changes after making Syracuse an interchange was all interchange was done there, and they did make some kind of haulage agreement after the line went out of service. The last trip the F45 made was on one of those trains, I happened to see it one night at a crossing in Oneida. What is current on that, no idea.

I want to say that after the move to Syracuse, Conrail made some changes in Utica including eliminating a remote interlocking and the connection to the NYS&W became a hand throw.

But my thought is being able to go to Binghamton opens up interchange for the traffic to go to NS. Even if it can still go there when going haulage rights to Syracuse, I would think it would save at least a day and some expense. And it makes NYS&W look better to run even an occasional train on the line.
 #1445111  by ut-1

This is Operation Lifesaver's nationwide "Rail Safety Week." NYS&W and the Utica PD teamed-up today to further te goals of this noble program.

Here's a link to a one-minute video showing No. 3040 heading through South Utica with two officers up front:

https://youtu.be/cnVtBZt8eCI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, a few photos.
Attachments:
IMG_3769 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_3769 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg (222.89 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
IMG_3766 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_3766 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg (196.06 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
 #1451372  by ut-1

Here are a few photos from UT-1's run to Sangerfield yesterday:

Photo 1: Southbound, Clayville, 9:02 am.

Photo 2: 20 minutes later, passing Durant Farms, Waterville.

Photo 3: A few moments later.
Attachments:
IMG_4489 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_4489 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg (224.49 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
IMG_4492 (4)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg
IMG_4492 (4)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg (205.81 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
IMG_4493 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg
IMG_4493 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg (272.1 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
 #1451425  by milkman

ricky wrote:It crying shame that line not being use south of sangerfield

The restoration was completed a year ago and yet no trains.Go figure.
 #1451761  by Rail Trails Fail

milkman wrote:
ricky wrote:It crying shame that line not being use south of sangerfield

The restoration was completed a year ago and yet no trains.Go figure.
At this point without major business agreements in Sherburne and Norwich in the next year or 2, the line is once again headed to a OOS status. Can't see the point in NYSW maintaining it for equipment moves every now and then.
 #1451808  by johnpbarlow

I don't how accurate and up to date NYS&W's corporate website is but their system map shows the track between Chenango Forks and Sherburne is still out of service. On October 3, 2008, NYS&W filed with the STB stating that service was discontinued on this line segment (last local service was over 5 years earlier and all through traffic has been re-routed) and, as far as I can tell, no further filing has been submitted to the STB by NYS&W to re-instate service on this line segment. So NYS&W doesn't seem that interested in merchandising the availability of the rehabbed track.

https://www.stb.gov/Filings/all_2000s.n ... 223721.PDF

Somewhat related question: for how long has NYS&W had the For Sale sign out for the Utica shops?

http://www.nysw.com/assets/Utica%20Shop%20Flyer.pdf
Attachments:
NYSW system map.JPG
NYSW system map.JPG (49.44 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
 #1454046  by ricky

johnpbarlow wrote:I don't how accurate and up to date NYS&W's corporate website is but their system map shows the track between Chenango Forks and Sherburne is still out of service. On October 3, 2008, NYS&W filed with the STB stating that service was discontinued on this line segment (last local service was over 5 years earlier and all through traffic has been re-routed) and, as far as I can tell, no further filing has been submitted to the STB by NYS&W to re-instate service on this line segment. So NYS&W doesn't seem that interested in merchandising the availability of the rehabbed track.

https://www.stb.gov/Filings/all_2000s.n ... 223721.PDF

Somewhat related question: for how long has NYS&W had the For Sale sign out for the Utica shops?

http://www.nysw.com/assets/Utica%20Shop%20Flyer.pdf
it boil down to nysw does not care at all about the line from sheburne to chenango froks at all its crying shame
 #1454169  by milkman

http://www.nysw.com/assets/Utica%20Shop%20Flyer.pdf[/quote] it boil down to nysw does not care at all about the line from sheburne to chenango froks at all its crying shame[/quote]

My wife saw a group of 3 maintenance vehicles going up the tracks by our house in Norwich today.
I still have hope something will happen and we will see trains on a regular basis again.