Railroad Forums 

• US Army 65 ton Vulcan

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#244176  by dansapo

Does anyone know what base this locomotive was based in?Number 7025,serial#4389 blt 8-1942.
 #244325  by RailVet

According to R. Tourret's book "Allied Military Locomotives of the Second World War," this locomotive was based at Seneca Ordnance Depot during the war. Of course, it could have been used at many other locations since then, too.

#244418  by dansapo

Thanks.It was later bought by a Local shortline in Marcellus NY and then Standard Slag in WV (scrap)?
 #244535  by RailVet

Here's more data on that Vulcan. It went to Allen V. Smith Inc. for the Marcellus & Otisco Lake Railway as its No. 7025 in Marcellus, NY, then went to Standard Slag as its No. 49 in Weirton, WV. I'll see if I can find out if/when it was scrapped.
 #244545  by RailVet

Standard Slag became LaFarge Corp in 1989. Rail operations have been discontinued, and the locomotive has probably been scrapped. Unfortunately I haven't found a date.

#244728  by dansapo

I recently sent a email directly to Lafarge.They have no records of it. I would think the loco is scrap by now,but you never know unless you ask around.

#257948  by dansapo

I've found out that it was scrapped around 1992.Someone else who was researching the status contacted one of the local historical groups.They told him that the city wanted it gone(I guess Lafarge was shut down?)and was scrapped. :(